Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Camp Cooking and Game Processing
How to Get the Gamey Taste Out of Venison >

How to Get the Gamey Taste Out of Venison

Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

How to Get the Gamey Taste Out of Venison

Old 04-24-2013, 06:42 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by bronko22000
A buck tasting like crap during the rut is an old wife's tale. Probably because the meat got tainted from the tarsal glands or whatever. The last 5 or 6 buck I shot were shot with my bow during the rut and they tasted just fine. In fact, I do believe I will go down in the freezer and pull out a couple streaks for supper.
I've only had a few deer that did not taste good.Once I started aging, they all tasted much better. I do like venison steak on a hot skillet. I add butter to the skillet and it comes out great. Removing the tarsal glands is very important, yes.
Old 04-25-2013, 11:35 AM
Typical Buck

Don't understand why some go deer hunting and then expect the meat to taste like cow. Use good meat handling practices, cook as you would other lean meats and appreciate some of the finest protein available.
Old 04-25-2013, 04:09 PM
Boone & Crockett

I too love the taste of deer meat just the way it is. Yes it can leave a waxy type of taste that lasts and lasts.. But, that only is because you had left some fat on it. My mom used to cook the ribs in a roaster in the oven. They were mighty tastey but that waxy taste stayed around for a while. It was and still is something I can live with when it comes to stuff like that. My stakes however I will trim all the fat off from them.

Now when it comes to bear meat forget it! That taste I can not become accustom to so I will not hunt for a bear.. Simply put if I do not like something there is no real sense in hunting or shooting it.
Old 04-25-2013, 10:40 PM
Spike

properly dressing and handling your deer there shouldn't be a gamy taste.The gamy taste is usually contamination from the tarsal glands being touched. Or broken bladder or intestines different food will affect taste to
Old 04-26-2013, 05:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

I marinate or dry rub all cuts of game for a day before eating (except Elk), people don't know they're eating wild game unless I tell them.

As for ground game meats, I'm usually making chili, bolognese sauce, taco meat, etc. so again, so much spice that you wouldn't know the difference.

I've never really had an issue with anything tasting "too gamey" unless I meant to prepare it that way or the meat was freezerburned or something.

I just think it's 90% in the cooking method/preparation... 10% in the processing, IMO.
Old 04-28-2013, 11:44 AM
Boone & Crockett

Phil I am surprised that you do not like the taste of bear meat. I find it delicious. Again - if properly prepared. I've served it to guests who swore it was beef.
Old 04-28-2013, 02:59 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have tried it a few different times and the only thing I could eat off one was a few chops slow cooked in the oven. Other than that no way can I eat it. I gave a guide around 25 gallons of cherry pie filling that was given to me around 4 years ago. So that he could use it for bear baiting. He gave me a few stakes as a thank you. I told him the wife says she likes it but me I can not eat the stuff. My mom and wife keeps after me to shoot one but, I have never shot anything that I do can not eat or have mounted and ect.. Maybe some year they can get me to shoot one but, for now it is off the table.
Old 04-29-2013, 07:15 AM
Fork Horn

I've killed a couple bears, the meat tasted decent to me (better than deer, IMO). My complaint was that it was awfully tough, the only way I could chew it was to grind it up or simmer a long time in a crock pot, until it basically fell apart. I would think if a bear has been eating fish, garbage, or road kill, the meat might be a little rank tasting.

Like many things, I guess it all comes down to personal opinion.
Old 07-15-2013, 09:22 AM
Spike

Why would you want to lose the gameyness. Thats what venison is about. You might as well go buy a beef steak in that case.
Old 08-17-2013, 02:42 PM
Fork Horn

HuntAway has it...

When processing the deer (butchering it yourself is the only way you know what you really have) remove all the fat, silver-skin and other connective tissues (there will be a large pile of bad meat as your butchering it)...

In the morning before cooking it, place the frozen meat in a large Tupperware container and add water and a large amount of salt for at least two hours...this will remove the "blood", a connective tissue that carries a strong taste and odor...similar to techniques for processing Kosher meats (must be drained of blood, etc)...

Drain off the water/blood and replace with whatever marinade you prefer...I find a nice cheap Italian dressing from Walmart works well...

I have had people who profess that they would never eat deer come back for second and third helpings...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.