Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

Need recipe for Venison Roast

Old 10-01-2013, 05:11 PM
Spike

Default Need recipe for Venison Roast

What is everyones favorite way to cook deer roast?
I need a good recipe. Thank you
Old 10-01-2013, 06:20 PM
Fork Horn

I just did 2 elk roasts on the grill Sunday. On one I used Adolfs meat tenderizer, garlic salt, onion powder, and black pepper. The other I used Adolfs, Italian seasoning, black pepper, brown sugar and chili powder. Put it all over the meat the day before and wrap in plastic. Both turned out great.
Old 10-01-2013, 06:20 PM
Super Moderator

BBQ grill, crock-pot or dutch oven? If you're grilling, you might want to marinate it overnight. If it's in a crock-pot or dutch oven, you don't need to.
Old 10-02-2013, 10:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Just treat it like a beef roast. Lots of root veggies around the roast and make a gravy.

Ron
Old 10-04-2013, 10:59 AM
Fork Horn

Best one for us is.... Rub outside of roast with your favorite seasonings, we use Prime Rib and Roast seasoning then warm up some Aujus Paste with a bit of warm water to get the consistancy of a heavy oil cover seasoning with Aujus. Let stand overnight in frig covered. 2 hours before you place in over take out of frig to allow meat to get near room temp. cook to the internal temp is about 135 slice thin and enjoy. Always frreze the meat before cooking to kill bacteria and leech some of the blood from the roast.
Old 10-04-2013, 10:37 PM
Spike

Our club had a chef as a member, Jimmie Grubbs, from the Pike Road, AL VFD. He ran a very good restaurant and was in several AL Wild Game Cook-Off competitions. The Pike Rd VFD publishes a cook book you can find this recipe in. In the morning prior to the dog hunts, we took a venison hind quarter( hung a 10-14 days{we had a butcher in the club too}, scored it with cross-cuts stuffed garlic and jalapenos in the cuts. The meats was covered with bacon strips and put on a smoker/grill fired with hardwood charcoal/hickory wood by 7AM. We went hunting with the dogs, had lunch, hunted again, caught dogs & fed and bedded them, cleaned deer, washed up and it was meal time! Deer hams(hind quarters done this way are excellent-same recipe-reduce for smaller cuts.
Old 10-05-2013, 08:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Here's my favorite

1 1 1/2-2lb roast
1 medium onion Sliced
1 can of whole berry cranberry sauce
1 cup of water
1 cup dry red wine
salt and pepper to taste

Line the bottom of a crock pot or dutch oven with 3/4 of the sliced onion. Next salt and pepper the roast brown in a little oil.

Then lay it on the onion slices. Take the remaining onion slices and add to the top off the roast and spoon the whole berry cranberry sauce over the roast.
Add the water and the wine, cover and allow to cook on high for the next 6-8 hrs. ( I did 4 on High and 3 on Low)
or med. heat if in the dutch oven
After 3-4 hours add cut Carrotts

Serve this with a long grain brown rice and use the sauce in the crock pot for a gravy. I like smashed taters.

Also, Red Cabbage goes very nice with it.