Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

Cutting ground deer for jerky

Old 03-06-2013, 07:51 PM
Spike

Default Cutting ground deer for jerky

Do you cut your ground deer for jerky with anything? Pork or ground beef ?
Old 03-07-2013, 05:38 AM
Fork Horn

No. I use LEM spices and that's it.
Old 03-13-2013, 07:20 AM
Fork Horn

Venison jerky should be straight venison ground through a 3/16 plate. The trick to a great ground and formed jerky is the seasonings should have the proper ratio of salt and binder to make the formed jerky tough like a whole muscle jerky. Mixing with a very small amount of water to help the binder become tacky is also important. We teach in our classes that mixing a batch of FriscoSpices jerky mix with 25# of venison requires a minimum of 8 minutes with vigerous mashing and smashing, this will make the meat tough and more like whole muscle jerky. Then simply use your jerky cannon to form strips for smoking or dehydrating. Another trick if you dehydrate your jerky and want the smokey flavor is to add 1/4 cup of powdered smoke to the seasoning before mixing. We use powdered smoke rather than liquid smoke, as some may know liquid smoke can be bitter. If you have a more questions please feel free to call me 800 762 6689 ask for mike

Last edited by friscospices.com; 03-13-2013 at 07:31 AM.
Old 03-13-2013, 09:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

No cutting. 100% pure.
Old 03-20-2013, 09:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Whoa. At first I was wondering why someone would cut (with a knife) ground up meat. After reading the post, I understand the question.

In my experience, only 100% venison should be used to make ground and "caulked" jerky. Beef and pork have too much fat which will affect the binding of the meat in the strips or sticks.
Old 05-31-2013, 05:42 AM
Spike

Ditto the 3/16" size grinding plate for preparing jerky. I like to add about 1.5 oz of water per lb (of meat) to the seasoning mix. After thoroughly mixing, I let it marinate for a few hours (overnight even better). The water helps the seasonings intergrate and also helps the jerky shooter along. Any excess water will evaporate out during the drying process. I also agree, that you do not need to add a fatty meat to your venison when making jerky. 100% venison jerky is pretty darn good.
Old 05-31-2013, 06:17 AM
Typical Buck

"Whoa. At first I was wondering why someone would cut (with a knife) ground up meat. After reading the post, I understand the question."

LOL, me too.

The point of adding trim to sausage is to up the fat content and keep the sausage from drying out. The object of making jerky is to dry it out. So, no trim added -- 100% venison.