Community
Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

Hang Time for deer

Old 01-07-2013, 05:00 PM
Spike

Default Hang Time for deer

How long does everyone hang their deer before processing? I've read numerous articles talking about hanging anywhere from 24 hours to 7+ days to improve flavor & texture. Is there a noticeable difference from processing the day of the kill?
Old 01-08-2013, 05:29 PM
Typical Buck

I have never processed the same day but I have butchered some 24 hours after kill and hung some 3-4 days. I personally didn't see a noticeable difference. I was watching a video last night that a butcher did on youtube (I take you tube with a grain of salt). He said that aging deer does not have the same affect as aging beef. He said the layer of fat on a cow is a lot thicker and has a different affect then the thin layer of fat that a deer has.
Old 01-09-2013, 06:46 AM
Fork Horn

The biggest change in hanging for 3 or 4 days compaired to butchering same day is the amount of blood in the meat. Hanging for a few days allows the blood to leave the lean muscle.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

Here's what I follow, I cut some of the times to be on the safe side.

Hanging Time

65-70 degrees 24-36 hours
50 degrees 3-4 days
35-40 degrees 7-10 days

I took these from a hunting on butchering. I’ve been following these guidelines for over 15 years as I do all my own butchering.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by friscospices.com
The biggest change in hanging for 3 or 4 days compaired to butchering same day is the amount of blood in the meat. Hanging for a few days allows the blood to leave the lean muscle.
Where does the blood go if it drains from the lean muscle? I'm not sure I buy off on the idea. I know the carcass will drip blood for a while when hanging, but at some point it coagulates? Hanging a deer is only going to give you cold meat which equates to cold hands plus a stiff carcass.

To the OP. I usually cut mine up same day. Get the job done. You can remove the blood later with a bath of salt water, soda, or buttermilk.

Aging beef involves enzymes breaking down the muscle tissue. I assume this will work on deer muscle as well.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

I field dress as soon as I get it home...I could do it in the field but I dont want debris/leaves dirt etc getting into the carcass..I usually hang overnight to let the blood drain out...skin the next morning to take to the butchers...they let it hang 7-14days depending on how busy they are...so far Idaho deer has been the best tasting of the TX,MD where I shot deer before.
Old 01-15-2013, 12:07 PM
Typical Buck

I wandered about the blood as well. Once gutted I hang my deer and typically there is not enough blood to fully cover the bottom of the 5 gallon bucket I put under them.

I remember reading in Field and Stream years ago an article that said the best case scenario was to hang a deer for 2 days in a temp between 60-70 degrees. I don't recall the reasoning but I would never do it. If it is above 40 degrees here I stick a couple bags of ice in mine.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:00 PM
Fork Horn

Yes very weird but it isnt as bloody. also the meat is much more firm. I have no idea where it goes but it doesn't leave near the mess on the butcher table.
Old 01-23-2013, 06:19 AM
Typical Buck

I always heard that when an animal dies, a chemical is released (adrenilin maybe??) that causes rigor mortis and that aging allowed this chemical to dissipate and the muscles to relax. Any truth to this?
Old 01-23-2013, 07:09 AM
Fork Horn

Rigor mortis occurs in first 24 hrs generally. don,t know chemical cause but i usually won,t butcher till carcass is "set up". Average hang time is 2 or 3 days,i don,t like watching it shrink. While an argument is meat won,t age off bone i prefer to age cuts as use planned with 3 or 4 days in the fridge after thawing. During rare good weather just above freezing to upper 30,s another day or two is fine by me.
A friend cuts his deer up a.s.a.p. but grinds most.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.