Community
Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

Hang Time for deer

Old 01-23-2013, 08:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

I either butchered them or taken them in within 24hrs. I have no idea how long the butcher let them hang but it all tasted pretty much the same to me. Aging/hanging longer if the temps are perfect might be more beneficial if the deer had the same kind of fat content and marbling within the meat as beef. IIRC beef is aged just above freezing.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:16 AM
Dominant Buck

Usually pretty cold here in Vermont on all but the earliest part of bow season. Minimum I let hang is 3-4 days when it is warmer. I try to let them hang for 5-7 if it is cold enough. It always comes out good and I do all my own butchering and sausage making.
Old 01-26-2013, 01:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Aging tenderizes the meat, enzyme activity breaks down the connective tissue that can make it tough. I used to hang deer but now I usually butcher them pretty quick, as i hang them outside or in my garage. When i hang to age them, I find it's hard to do with my set up, as i'm at the mercy of mother nature, one year I shot a bunch and they froze solid, I had to stack them like cord wood in my basement to thaw a little before i could process them, that made the wife mad lol. Been trying to set my garage up better for butchering.
Old 03-01-2013, 11:11 PM
Spike

Several years ago I hunted with a club in Central Al and one of the members ran a successful grocery store/butcher shop business. We had a large walk-in cooler that was just above freezing and most unskinned deer were hung for 10-14 days before butchering. We had a good clean field dressing area with lots of running water and drainage. We never had a complaint about the meat, which cut easily and cleanly when butchered.
Old 03-02-2013, 07:00 AM
Fork Horn

It all depends on the air temperature. If it's warm u don't want to leave it hanging to long. As far as the flavor and texture, I've never noticed a difference on the amount of time hung to matter.
Old 03-23-2013, 04:51 AM
Spike

I don't like to hang mine outside for any longer than I have to, to many variables. I like to skin my deer same day or next morning if necessary. Even in cold temps the hide will hold heat for a long time. I have aged venison in the fridge for 7-10 days and it was extremely good, but I normally don't age mine. If you do want to age yours I would recommend getting an old refrigerator for the garage. You can mount rods or hooks in it to hang quarters from. And over the summer it can be filled with beer
Old 03-23-2013, 05:30 AM
Spike

I Quarter mine up, put it in a large ice chest, soak it in salty ice water for about a week changing the water daily, by the last day or two there won't be much blood left.
Old 03-23-2013, 05:37 AM
Spike

The problem hear in Arkansas with hanging is temp changes, one day it may be 40 degrees the next day 70.
Old 03-23-2013, 09:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Variables, but depending on temp couple days to a week.
Old 03-25-2013, 05:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Unless you have a cooler and can control temps and humidity then you are wasting your time in my opinion.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.