Community
Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

Is my meat ok?

Old 01-02-2013, 10:25 AM
Spike

Default Is my meat ok?

I've had deer in a cooler in freezer for about a week. I haven't had a chase to bag it up is it still OK to eat?

Posted from Huntingnet.com App for Android
Old 01-02-2013, 04:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

What has the temperature of the meat been over that period of time? Without knowing that there is no way your question can be answered.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:39 PM
Fork Horn

I believe it is in the freezer so I would assume below 32 degrees F. And if its at that temperature I dont see why the meat would go bad in a week, if youre worried about the trich or other bacteria, they wouldnt have had time to multiply in that temperature for that short period.

I also hope this isnt some kind of perverted joke when you ask "is my meat ok"
Old 01-03-2013, 11:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

You don't assume anything and that is why I asked what I did. If it's in a cooler that is inside a freezer there is no way to know what the temperature of the meat is and unless you are a microbiologist I would not be telling him what you did about temperatures and their effect on food. I was a state sanitarian for many years along with several other law enforcement responsibilities that my position required expertise on and you don't assume anything.

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 01-03-2013 at 11:09 AM.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:42 AM
Fork Horn

I bet it is freezer-burnt, and in one big clump. Not my idea of quality edibles.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:07 PM
Fork Horn

give it to a neighbor you don't like !
Old 01-04-2013, 02:22 AM
Fork Horn

You do bring up a good point about being in a cooler in a freezer, I forgot that the cooler coudlve been insulated from the freezer temperature. As for the bacteria, 32 degrees and below is what it is and food bacteria dont reproduce as rapidly in those temperature, obviously he isnt going to go out and get it tested.

You dont have to be a microbiologist to know these things, simple google or food handlers test will tell you the basics.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:30 AM
Spike

I'm just gonna bag it up and hope for the best...

Posted from Huntingnet.com App for Android
Old 01-04-2013, 10:04 AM
Fork Horn

Have the wife eat it first. After all, you can always find another one.
Old 01-05-2013, 10:48 PM
Spike

CoonHunter0412- I have hunted with a couple hunting clubs in Central AL that were fortunate enough to have a cooler for our deer. One member owned a butcher shop/Convenience store with knowledge of aging full ssides of beef/pork and game. We cleaned dressed and washed our deer ASAP with care. Serious about this- some clubs hang and gut, we didn't. we gutted on the ground on a tarp, keeping everything in place and exercising much care around the anus and urine sacks. On the ground dressing allowed easy collection of urine w/o other organ stress. +Once cleaned and skinned the deer was washed and dried then hung in a circulating air cooler @ +/-34 degrees for up to 2 weeks. We never had a deer go bad, the venison tasted better than some other I'd had over the years and was more tender. No dog-hunted deer were allowed our part of AL. A dog-driven deer needs to be cleaned/washed and butter-milked ASAP!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.