Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

shoulders for jerky?

Old 11-26-2012, 05:51 PM
Fork Horn

Default shoulders for jerky?

I recently bought a jerky gun. I've always used the hams for jerky but I was wondering if anyone has ever grinded up the shoulders for jerky? If so did it turn out ok. I'd really like to save the ham for steaks.
Old 11-26-2012, 06:29 PM
Fork Horn

Have at it.shoulders great for grinds. Was a time i used them with out grinding.
Only been using gun a couple years but its allright!.
Old 11-27-2012, 04:54 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by monoped
Have at it.shoulders great for grinds. Was a time i used them with out grinding.
Only been using gun a couple years but its allright!.
Thanks. I've always grinded them up for burger but never jerky. I think I'll try it and see if it turns out good.
Old 11-27-2012, 05:15 AM
Fork Horn

Ive always used the hind quarters for jerky and cut them myself. I take the front shoulders and grind them up and make excellent summer sausage!!
Old 11-27-2012, 05:25 AM
Typical Buck

Other then the loins and backstraps I have ground all parts of a deer. Once it is ground, seasoned, and dehydrated I can never tell a difference between one part of the deer compared to another.
Old 11-27-2012, 06:40 AM
Fork Horn

Me too, grind anything but the back straps for dehydrated jerky. Make sure to mix meat very vigourously to make a stiff as possible for a good solid ground and formed jerky. We also add powdered smoke to our seasoning to give the jerky a smoked flavor. Powdered smoke is better than liquid smoke for 2 reasons 1 dehydrating and adding a liquid is plan dumb and 2 powdered smoke taste more like real smoke without the bitterness. The powdered smoke we sell at FriscoSpices is used 1/4 cup per 25lb of meat. We just ad it to our seasoning before mixing with the meat. Give Ben a call and tell him your a Hunting Net member for 10% off and remind him that I spoke of a free gift along with your order. 800 762 6689.
Old 11-28-2012, 03:28 AM
Fork Horn

I have done this and it works well. I agree, once it's all ground up it's all the same. I started dehydrating jerky strips from the hams then make snack sticks from the ground, works well!

--------------------------------------
Http://www.phantombuck.com
Topic a week blog site/recipes/gear reviews
Old 11-28-2012, 04:43 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the all the info. I'll be grinding them up in a couple more days. I just did'nt want to use the hams because I get cube and regular steaks out of them. And the loins and backstraps will never be ground up around here although I have seen people do it. If its their deer they can do what they want but it does bring tears to my eyes. Thanks again and can't wait to try the jerky.