Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

Make Jerky Yourself?

Old 11-06-2012, 09:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

I make mine a dehydrator. Usually cut across the grain and about 1/4" thick. Turns out great.
Old 11-16-2012, 09:19 AM
Fork Horn

For those of you that use an oven or the dehydrator we sell a product called powdered smoke flavor. No salt just smoke powder. Use 1/4 cup for 25# of meat. Not bitter like the liquide smoke tends to get if you use too much. Has a great hickory flavor. Check it out of call FriscoSpices.com or 800 762 6689
Old 11-16-2012, 10:14 AM
Fork Horn

I have made my own jerky at home.

Usually I take all the meat trimmings, such as the meat from between the ribs, and other scraps, and after slicing those into strips, I soak those overnight in a tub of half and half wouschester sauce and A1 sauce, together with a sprinkling of onion salt and garlic salt on each piece of meat.

Then I set the oven on the lowest temp, about 150F, and lay the meat on the wire shelves in the oven, for about 24 hours, with the oven door open a crack.

Every 24 hours I will take the dry venison out and put more soaked venison onto the shelves.

Your house ends up smelling like jerky for a few days, that's the only down side to making it yourself.
Old 11-18-2012, 01:24 PM
Spike

Shoobee, thats what I marinate my venison steaks in...worcester sauce, A1, and jack daniels...throw those on the grill with caramelized onions and mushrooms...
Old 03-03-2013, 11:02 PM
Spike

I had a dehyrator for making dried fruit and such. I took my venison back straps and tenderloins and marinated them for a couple days in the frig in Allegro Game Tame. I then put them in the freezer until almost solid so I could slice them uniformly. Once sliced under 1/4" thick at most, they went into the dehydrator until finished-test for desired texture. Be careful, may want to slap your Momma!
Old 03-06-2013, 02:49 AM
Fork Horn

I use the same smoker as the one in the video. I slice the meat against the grain as well, but I hang the strips over the rack so they smoke vertically instead of horizontally.
Old 03-06-2013, 10:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

I make my own. I grind the deer meat. Only sliced jerky I make is with beef.

I use Nesco products for the most part.
Old 03-08-2013, 06:24 PM
Typical Buck

I make whole muscle jerky out of deer, beef and turkey. It's done the old fashion way and I take a simple approach by just using basic seasonings ie. salt, black pepper, garlic, red pepper and cure. Real hardwood wood is used to smoke. it I live in South Texas and have endless supplies of hickory, mesquite and oak and a limited supply of pecan wood. My smoking is done in a 8ftx8ft smokehouse and can do very large amounts.
It's simply the best stuff there is in our home and with kids around it doesnt last long.

Here is some wild turkey.....

Old 10-14-2013, 11:54 AM
Spike

Default spice for jerky !

I use Spice N Slice mixes for my Jerky . I just use there Western hickory smoked flavor and sometimes add bite .. like some franks red hot or just ground pepper .. but otherwise this stuff makes it .. everytime . I can barley keep it around . a big sell at work . .. you can check em out at www.spicenslice.com . there a pretty cool business . there a non-profit who helps out the disabled folks in there area by providing employment , .. . .
Attached Thumbnails Make Jerky Yourself?-jerky.jpg