Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Camp Cooking and Game Processing
Has Anyone Here Ever Canned Dear Meat >

Has Anyone Here Ever Canned Dear Meat

Community
Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

Has Anyone Here Ever Canned Dear Meat

Old 06-29-2012, 07:48 PM
Spike

Default Has Anyone Here Ever Canned Dear Meat

Has anyone here ever canned dear meat?

Is it better then putting it in the freezer?

How long would it last if you canned it?

How would you store the canned meat?
Old 07-02-2012, 03:03 PM
Typical Buck

a buddy of mine cans a bunch of deer meat every season. Its mighty tasty and it lasts longer than freezing it (i think it lasts at least 3 or 4 years canned, where most frozen meats dont seem to do well much past a year).
Old 07-02-2012, 05:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

I've done it for years, we use to can pork tenderloin back in the 60s so I started doing this 20 some years ago...

Is it better??? No, it's just much quicker to fix as you don't have to thaw...Just take it out, heat and eat, it's just that easy...Now I also put it over rice, potatoes, on a bun with BBQ sauce and even use it as a base for my vegetable soup...

According to what I have read foods both frozen and canned should be eaten within 12 months or so...I've eaten canned deer and frozen deer as much as 2 years later with no ill effects...When you open a jar, you will hear the top "pop" or break the seal, simply smell it, if it smells bad, toss it...I've never had this problem though...If you do happen to have a jar that doesn't seal, simply put it in the fridge and eat within a couple of days...

I store mine in a pantry, pie safe or shelf at room temperature...
Old 07-02-2012, 05:33 PM
Super Moderator

I can meat every year. I like it. You can do alot with it, and it holds well. I've got some thats over a year old that I'm still using. Never kept any much longer than a year and a half though. To store it, I have a canning cupboard in the basement. It's cool, like most basements. I just store all my canned stuff in there. Give it a try. It's a little extra work. Time consuming, but I've enjoyed my results.
-Jake
Old 07-03-2012, 11:44 AM
Spike

Yep I love canned deer. I cuts the meats in cubes and can them with a bit of beef base (not the powder) and water. It taste like deer roast when reheated. It does require a pressure canner to do it.
Old 07-13-2012, 11:03 AM
Fork Horn

Our recipe includes the Instructions. We use 1 TBLS Au Jus base mix in bottom of quart jar a bit of distilled water and then raw pack cubed meat until jar is full 1/2" from top. Pressure canner 90 minutes. 2year shelf life (In the Dark) tastes just like Grandmas Sunday Roast beef dinner. It can be used for stir fry, hot beef sandwich, stews, soups, tips and noodles, philly steak sandwich's, and even just cold out of the jar. We take it to the duck blind just place the jar in boiling water 20 minutes with a few rolls and it make an awsome hot beef sandwich on those cold days. Call Ben 800 762 6689 tell him to set you up with all you need make sure to tell him you want the complete instructions sent with. We sell 700-800 pounds of the Au Jus past a year to local hunter here in Nebraska and Iowa. Comes in 1lb tubs refrigerate the tub after opening, stays good for a couple years in the refrigerator.
Old 07-15-2012, 04:38 AM
Typical Buck

I was planning to can some for the first time this year. Unfortunately I didn't get to hunt as much as normal and didnt kill a dear this year. A friend of mine gave me a jar he had canned and it was awesome. I ate some right out of the jar and the rest went into a large pot of noodles. As we speak I have been shopping around for a used presure cooker. I plan on killing an extra doe this year, keeping the loins and backstraps and then canning the rest.
Old 07-18-2012, 09:44 AM
Spike

You need a pressure canner, not pressure cooker. Don't want you to waste $$.
Old 07-18-2012, 12:15 PM
Fork Horn

We sell new Pressure canners. We tested a bunch (maybe 15) from different vendors before we made our commitment to sell American made Forged in Wisconsin canners. Check our our web site for details...If you order one from us call me after you place the order for a bunch of free stuff to go along with it. I will also send you a discount certificate for future purchases. So place your order and give me a call 800 762 6689 ask for Mike.
Old 07-20-2012, 08:05 PM
Fork Horn

my mom use to can deer and elk,we use to mix it up like tuna fish,dang good eating.not sure how long it lastsas we never gave it a chance to age.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.