Community
Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

Venison sausage help dry

Old 01-11-2012, 08:46 AM
Fork Horn

Yep your right never caught that. I would pitch it, the cure we use now is like the old quick cure it really only required about 3-4 hours for ground products, (assuming you use the correct amount) I dont know why someone would only use half the amount. These sausage recipes are formulas with percentages, adding or subtracting individual ingredients messes up the percentages and can make a good sausage into a "What the heck is that stuff" sausage. Believe me when we formulate new recipes it isn't just putting in a few spices, it takes a bunch of meat and a tremendous amount of time to get it correct. Thanks for catching that getting sick from food poisoning is no fun
Old 01-11-2012, 01:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ok just checking, Ive spent several years now screwing around with making sausages and other things but am personally just getting into adding my own cures etc.. to my own recipes as opposed to buying the kits where everythings pre measured.Not theres anything wrong with the kits, i just have a lotta meat and to much free time during the winter lol.
Old 01-11-2012, 01:42 PM
Fork Horn

We sell the quick cure 1 tsp / 5lb meat. Perfect for when you do your own recipe. Most recipes have salt as an ingredient. If you use Mortons or some other brands of cure you end up with a higher salt content then what the formula calls for. Our "Pink Cure" is concentrated so you done end up adding all the extra salt like you do with some other cures.
Old 01-12-2012, 05:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Gabe G
Thanks for the help, I agree, the links I have now i will use in chili's and substitutes for ground meats. But I have tasted grilled sausage the a friend of mine got from the deer processor and it was good and moist. Just looking for that hidden secret to do that
Just looking for that hidden secret to do that

Fat 25-35%

HA
Old 01-15-2012, 12:25 PM
Spike

wow, thanks for all the suggestions and comments. So if I understand these replies, don't use a curing season if you plan on cooking the sausage directly over charcoal and wood. use a cure if you intend to slow smoke at 150-175 for a long time. Add more ice water to the raw mixture to keep it moist when cooking. I bought some uncured fresh pork belly that I will try cause I cant find fat back. I will post how it comes out. The only reason I'm doing small batches is I want to find a recipe that my wife and I enjoy, then I will do 25 pound batches. Thanks again fellow brothers and sisters in Arms.

Gabe
Old 01-15-2012, 03:01 PM
Fork Horn

Gabe if you call me at 800 762 6689 I can send you a sample of a proven recipe Ask for mike m-f 8-5