Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Camp Cooking and Game Processing
Eating deer for the first time? >

Eating deer for the first time?

Community
Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

Eating deer for the first time?

Old 02-11-2012, 06:47 AM
Fork Horn

Nothing better than home made venison sausage.
Old 05-03-2012, 08:26 PM
Spike

I make mountain man skillet, cut the meat into 1/2" cubes, cook in skillet, add bell peppers, onions, garlic, pepper, potatos (cut into chunks) simmer, remove from skillet, deglaze skillet with wine or what ever you like, then add a rue to thinkin it up.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:32 PM
Fork Horn

Venison definitely tastes better rare to med. Not overcooked.

The flavor is similar to a blend of lean beef and trimmed lamb.

A fast quick kill shot will result in better tasting meat than if it is chased and accumulates lactic acid in the muscles.

Quick chilling is important for preservation as well, or else the meat will spoil and taste "gamey."

So how the venison tastes depends on (1) what the deer are eating, (2) how quickly you kill it, (3) how quickly you chill it, (4) how long you age it, (5) how properly you prepare it.

It varies from unique and sweet to tough and gamey.
Old 09-13-2012, 07:13 PM
Fork Horn

As stated I believe that how you treat the meat after kill is most important. If you don't know how, find someone to take it to for processing. After that it's just learning how to cook it. I can feed just about anyone who says they don't like deer meat, and they'll eat it up without ever knowing...unless I decide to tell them.