Community
Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

Help with Grinder

Old 11-15-2011, 07:08 PM
Spike

Default Help with Grinder

Hi all,

I am interested in buying a grinder to grind up deer meat predominantly. I was looking on cabelas website and thinking about going with the 1 hp "industrial" grinder. Any suggestions or info would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-16-2011, 12:06 PM
Spike

The Cabela's 1 hp is on my short list. I've heard good things about it.
Old 11-16-2011, 12:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

make sure its all stainless or aluminum. i wouldn excecpt any plastic attachments..maybe the tighning tool, as we never use it.
shop after the season for the best prices...make sure it has sausage makin attachments....get a vaccuum sealer and a scale while you are at it...an electric slicer makes good for pre-marinading and readying meat for peppers and fajita's.
do make sure to check reviews befor buying...reveiws have saved me a million bux lol
Old 11-16-2011, 04:29 PM
Spike

I have been looking at the cabela's 1 hp grinder as well. I am going to wait until january and see if the prices go down.
Old 11-17-2011, 01:00 AM
Fork Horn

I have the 1 hp and love that machine. Only use it once a year to do the processing but worth it. The 1 hp is the smallest I believe that has the reverse on it. Which comes in handy every once in a while with fatty meat like bacon. Plus it comes with the sausage and sticks attachments, but I think they all do. I got mine on sale and used a in the mail coupon and got a great deal a few years ago. I wouldn't wait too long as the price keeps going up. You won't be dissapointed it chews it up as quick as you feed it, if its cut right.
Old 11-17-2011, 06:36 PM
Typical Buck

How much/many deer do you plan on doing a year. I usually do one or two myself and have one of the $99.00 grinders from Gander Mtn and it works great. If you were going to be grinding several hundred pounds of meat a year you would would want to go with the 1 hp or higher commercial series types. But IMO the cheaper ones work just fine for most home use.
I don't grind all of my deer so I usually only have to grind 15-20 pounds and it doesn't take long to do. I have had it three years and it still works like new.
Old 12-02-2011, 06:11 AM
Fork Horn

Good meat grinders do not require higher horse power motors. You are actually better off finding a grinder that has a lower HP and a good transmission to drive the auger. A fully commercial Hobart table top grinder is 1/2 hp but the power comes from the gearing. Cabelas grinders are all motor they run very hot and do not last as long as a unit which has a good set of gears. We sell Tor-rey units and they have proven to hold up for the commercial users as well as the hunter. WE have sold these units for about 12 years now and rarely have service issues with them. Plus if something breaks we stock parts and are able to get any replacement part with in 7 days. I promise if you have an issue with one of the cheaper brands you will play hell getting parts to repair.
Old 12-04-2011, 04:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

Just bought and used the LEM .35 hp. Works good, throats kind of small, but it grabbed meat right out of my hand. It's the new big bite version and does take it in quick and spits it out just as quick.

2 things I don't like about it and had I known would've look further, not saying I'd of fouynd better, but I would've looked for better. I thought they were not made in China and their accessories page contains items with crude adult humor, neither instills trust in me. Got it at Basspro for 269 and I have come to trust Bass Pro's return policy, so if I did have a mind to (if it gave me a reason too, it didn't) I'd of returned it.

Last edited by nodog; 12-04-2011 at 04:37 AM.
Old 12-04-2011, 05:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

I bought a 3/4 horse (w/reverse) from Cabelas about 12yrs ago. I think it was an LEM if I remember correctly. Its definitely different than what they sell now. I love it, it has worked flawlessly since day 1. I grind about 100-200lbs of meat every year, sometimes more, and it works great.

I have a friend that has one of the counter top appliance models (approx $100) and he's been able to use it for over 15 yrs with no problems. You just have to cut the meat smaller, and go slower...but it can get the job done.
Old 12-05-2011, 10:26 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by friscospices.com
Good meat grinders do not require higher horse power motors. You are actually better off finding a grinder that has a lower HP and a good transmission to drive the auger. A fully commercial Hobart table top grinder is 1/2 hp but the power comes from the gearing. Cabelas grinders are all motor they run very hot and do not last as long as a unit which has a good set of gears. We sell Tor-rey units and they have proven to hold up for the commercial users as well as the hunter. WE have sold these units for about 12 years now and rarely have service issues with them. Plus if something breaks we stock parts and are able to get any replacement part with in 7 days. I promise if you have an issue with one of the cheaper brands you will play hell getting parts to repair.
I'd like to, but when I click on your friscospices link, I get forwarding to an "aspdotnetstorefront site. ???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.