Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

Homemade Sausages

Old 11-11-2011, 05:57 AM
Fork Horn

Default Homemade Sausages

How many make there own sausage at home?
What types of sausages?
Who cans venison?
Where do you get your supplies?
How much do you give away to friends and family?
Has any one tried water bath summer sausage?

Last edited by friscospices.com; 11-11-2011 at 06:04 AM.
Old 11-11-2011, 10:08 AM
Fork Horn

Default Here is a great one.

I would say our best seller..
http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/fris...ml#post3874602
Old 11-17-2011, 07:52 AM
Fork Horn

Default Homemade Sausages

I live west of Omaha 25miles,was just in your store yesterday to get a sausage stuffing plate. I do deer salami, brats,sticks,jerky and hot dogs. This will be my 4th or 5th year, doing it and every year I get a little better at it. I now write my process down and the temp. and time to smoke them. I just started canning deer last year,first batch was a little to salty,added a bullion cube and salt at the same time. Got my second batch alot better!! I picked up your aujus mix 2wks ago and will use that this year. The local butcher shop in W---- does a good job on the processing also.Just picked up some fatty and some lean pork trim from them yesterday. Got 20lbs. for $30, didn't think that was to bad of a price, plus it close by.
Old 11-17-2011, 06:40 PM
Typical Buck

Our local processor makes the best summer sausage that I have ever tasted. They have won almost every award from every contest in the state so I don't make my own. I am planning to kill a small doe this year and can most of the meat just to try it. A few of my friends have done it and swear by it. I usually kill two dear a year so if I can kill a third one I will can it.
Old 12-02-2011, 06:29 AM
Fork Horn

Zeak next time you can come in and get our AuJus base and use that instead of the salt and or bullion. I usually have a sample to try as well. It is hands down the best additive for flavor, plus the liquid make some killer gravy. My name is mike, next time you come in find me and I will hook you up with a few items to try. If anyone else wants to try the canned venison you can call us 800 762 6689 get the items you need and we can send a sheet with the exact directions, all you need is a pressure cooker. (Everyone has a reletive with a pressure cooker in storage) Borrow it and you will be amazed at the taste and tenderness of venison. Once canned it does not require refrigeration until you open the jar.
Old 12-02-2011, 07:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

I do deer salami, brats,sticks,jerky and hot dogs
I want to learn how to make all of these eventually. I have a heavy duty grinder, and it has some plastic tubes...but I have nothing else, and don't know where to start. I've for years ground burger, but ready to venture out a bit.

Right now, I'd like to learn how to make brat type sausages and probably bologna (summer sausage). I don't want to spend a ton getting started either. If someone could point me in the right direction - possibly with a list of supplies I will need, and maybe a recipe or two, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!
Old 12-02-2011, 07:57 AM
Fork Horn

All of our recipes are mixed and ready to use. Our brats are easy and the fact they are a fresh sausage and dont need to be fully cooked until your ready to eat them. Also if you want to learn to make summer sausage and want a really simple way to do it give us a call and I can send the directions for a water bath summer sausage that is easy and only takes about 2 hours too cook. You can phone me at 800 762 6689, ask for Mike. I can explain how to do the roaster oven summer sausage method and be sure the directions are sent with your seasonings and casings.
Old 12-08-2011, 05:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Couple weeks ago I did about 10 lbs of jerky.

Last week I did 15 lbs of summer sausage.This week I have 5 lbs of smoked polish sausage and 10 lbs of deer brats ready to start grinding and should have them in the smoker tommorow night.

Next week I will be starting my fresh sausages, 10 lbs hot italian, 10 lbs sweet italian, and 10 lbs of breakfast sausage.Im starting to mess with cures more and may actually wind up doing these in the smoker to depending on how this batch of brats comes out.I like the flavor better and they have a longer shelf life if thier cured and smoked.

i live in a bad area for sausage making supplies, so I get them wherever I can. I use a lot of the store bought kits then tweak them to my liking.Also found out the meat department at one of the local stores will sell me high temp cheese for sausage so am planning to try that out as well this time.Casings I just have to stock up on when I find them.

By next year I hope to have a larger industrial size grinder, a meat mixer, and a actual sausage stuffer to speed up the process and allow me to do much larger batches at one time.
Old 12-08-2011, 05:40 AM
Fork Horn

We carry everything anyone would need for home processing. Plus Huntingnet.com members get 10% off their order plus a free gift when you call in an order. Ask for Ben or Mike 800 762 6689 Visit our web site to check out our products www.FriscoSpices.com
Old 12-16-2011, 02:43 PM
Typical Buck

Been making sausage for a while now. It's not rocket science but it's something that takes some time and patience. Basic spices like salt, black and red pepper, garlic are what I use most. I also have a smoke house and use real local hardwood like pecan, hickory, oak and mesquite.

Here's a sample from last year.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.