Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Camp Cooking and Game Processing
Buck shot found in bow killed deer,Should I eat it. >

Buck shot found in bow killed deer,Should I eat it.

Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

Buck shot found in bow killed deer,Should I eat it.

Old 10-04-2011, 06:12 AM
Spike

Default Buck shot found in bow killed deer,Should I eat it.

Just shot a nice doe in Vermont Sunday, started to cut it up and so far I've found 5 pellets of 00 buck shot scattered throughout the left side of the deer, from the front shoulder to the rear hind quarter. I've read that the lead can leach into the meat so should i be worried about eating this deer? My plan is to cut all pieces into small chunks checking for pellets then make burger out of it. Don't want to bite into a steak or roast and hit some lead or should I not even eat it?

Thanks to all from Vermont!
Old 10-06-2011, 09:31 PM
Spike

Don't worry about the lead. Look for signs of sepsis.

If there are signs of bad meat and infection, avoid those. As an adult, lead metal isn't a huge fear, it's only the more soluble forms that are a big concern. If you're concerned about lead, take some extra vitamin C, it helps chelate it.
Old 10-13-2011, 04:01 PM
Typical Buck

I agree. As long as the meat doesn't smell rotten, rancid, or show signs of infection I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 10-20-2011, 10:06 AM
Typical Buck

"Buck shot found in bow killed deer,Should I eat it."
You should never eat buck shot.
Old 10-22-2011, 03:50 AM
Fork Horn

you must go crazy if you bird hunt at all. if you are worried about 5pcs of buck shot in a deer.
Old 10-23-2011, 07:22 AM
Fork Horn

Don't listen to the HSUS inspired hippies in Vermont
Old 10-26-2011, 08:54 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by pearsontx4
you must go crazy if you bird hunt at all. if you are worried about 5pcs of buck shot in a deer.
I think he is more worried about the fact that the deer was shot some time ago and did not die immediately from being shot. The birds are cleaned shortly after being shot so they don't get infections and such from the buck shot. Imagine if somebody shot you in the arse with some buckshot and you never did anything to sterilize or care for the wounds. It wouldn't take long for some bad stuff to start happening inside your body.