HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Camp Cooking and Game Processing (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/camp-cooking-game-processing-30/)
-   -   Life alteringly good way to cook a roast or tough piece of meat. (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/camp-cooking-game-processing/350598-life-alteringly-good-way-cook-roast-tough-piece-meat.html)

Drfeelsgood 09-28-2011 08:06 PM

Life alteringly good way to cook a roast or tough piece of meat.

Try this, it will make you smile! The smell alone will draw people in off the street.

The secret is in the dutch oven and keeping it simple. Any piece of meat from any animal works with this recipe(lean or fatty), and its simple simple simple.

Line the bottom of your dutch oven with about 1 inch of sliced onions and at least 8 pieces of garlic. Place your meat in the center of the pot on top of the onions. Surround the meat with cut pieces of potato until they are about half way up the roast, toss in a few cloves of garlic. Put cut carrots on top of the potato until they reach the top of the roast, add a few more pieces of garlic and some chopped celery. Add a little salt and pepper and a few slices of onion to the top of the whole thing. Now pour in a bottle (or more) of GOOD FLAVORFULL beer. You want the beer to come about 1/3 up the roast, so if your using a large dutch oven, you may need to add more. Now add a cup and a half of red wine.

Place the lid on the dutch oven and put it in your conventional oven at 350 degrees. Let it cook 3-4 hours. At least once every 45 minutes pull it out of the oven and use a turkey baster to baste the veggies and meat with the wonderfull juices that are being created. The onions liquify and the garlic dissolves into the alcohol. The potatos and carrots absorb the flavor of the juice, I cant tell you how good they taste.

Once cooked, pull the meat out, it will have shrunk considerably, and there will be no fat left on the meat. Slice it up for serving

Place the carrots and onions together in a large bowl.

There should be a good bit of liquid left in the dutch oven once all the food is out. This must absolutely be saved and served on top of the meat and veggies, its too good not to use. Stir in a bit of flour if you want to thicken it up.

N.B. - When you get close to being finished cooking the dish, should you notice that there is not a lot of liquid left in the dutch oven (Evaporates), add a mixture of beer and wine to ensure that theres enough liquid to make a good amount of gravy. Once the liquid is added, let it sit for at least 45mins so it mixes well with whats in the pot. Theres no need to put it back in the heat, the dutch oven will keep it all plenty hot.

Enjoy and let me know what you think!

7.62NATO 09-30-2011 08:06 AM

I do something similar with front shoulders. I used to butcher them and use it as scrap meat. No longer! I keep those front shoulders WHOLE. But I braise them...very similar to what you do, just a couple of extra steps. A braised front shoulder will beat any stinkin' rear roast crock pot recipe any day! Amazingly delicious!

Drfeelsgood 09-30-2011 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by 7.62NATO (Post 3854881)
I do something similar with front shoulders. I used to butcher them and use it as scrap meat. No longer! I keep those front shoulders WHOLE. But I braise them...very similar to what you do, just a couple of extra steps. A braised front shoulder will beat any stinkin' rear roast crock pot recipe any day! Amazingly delicious!

Amen.

Tried smoken em?

7.62NATO 09-30-2011 08:22 PM

No, but I have ONE front shoulder left from last season. I was thinking about smoking it, but the braise is so good, I don't know if I can!

Drfeelsgood 09-30-2011 10:32 PM

haha, take the plunge!

Its not quite as good as pork (i mean cmon, you just cant beat pork!), but its damn fine. Once done I like to pull it and add a touch of bbq sauce and put it in the crock pot for about 2 hours. Dont over do the bbq sauce though, gotta let that venison flavor out.

Plunk that on some good white bread buns and watch em smile.

7.62NATO 10-01-2011 07:13 AM

Do you brine the shoulder before smoking? Would need to find an awful big container to do that...and make an awful lot of brine ($$)!! Also, do you wrap the shoulder in foil? I have heard of people doing that, but it doesn't make sense to me if smoking.

Drfeelsgood 10-01-2011 09:52 PM

Some people swear by brine. I havent tried it and dont see the point. For a pork butt theres more than enough fat to keep the meat plenty moist while cooking. Some people brine to put flavor into the meat, but for me some smoke and a nice rub is all the flavor i want in the meat. I like meat flavored meat. Weird eh?

I dont wrap deer shoudler in foil. I polish off the cooking with some time in a crock pot, keeps it nice and moist. I would imagine that it would make sense after a few hours of smoking to keep the meat from drying out. Ive always done it the way I was shown. I would say that once the meat hits the 160-165 internal temp, thats the time to foil it. Thats when the fat inside the meat will start to let go and spread. Wrapped in foil should keep it inside. May not get as good of a bark on it, but im sure it would be fantastic.

sgtbowhunter 10-26-2011 07:20 PM

That is very similar to my slow cooker recipe for roasts. Instead of beer and wine I use some beef broth. The shoulder roast is my wife's favorite and she just can't get enough venison. That is why I get a virtually unlimited deer hunting budget LOL. Love the roasts!