Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Camp Cooking and Game Processing
Anyone have any good fish BATTER recipes where the batter stays on the fish? >

Anyone have any good fish BATTER recipes where the batter stays on the fish?

Community
Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

Anyone have any good fish BATTER recipes where the batter stays on the fish?

Old 08-02-2011, 01:38 PM
Typical Buck

Default batter

All of the batters mentioned are good. To get your batter to stay on the fish try this: Coat your fish in meal, etc., and lay out on paper towels for til you get all covered with meal. Ole timer told me this years ago (I'm an old timer now), when you get all your fish battered, then simply fry. However, normally when I cook fish, I cook several and assume the time waiting to be cooked causes the meal to stick better. dog1
Old 08-09-2011, 08:28 PM
Fork Horn

There is a posability that the fish did not get completely dried before being dredged.
Old 10-26-2011, 07:37 PM
Fork Horn

x2 for zatarans and drakes batter. Like was said before, hot oil really helps. I will have to try the dry coating then wet coating method. For whitefish my wife loves the zatarans spicey coating and for cod/perch the drakes. I love them both!
Old 10-29-2011, 03:53 AM
Fork Horn

The secret is to dredge the fish in flour before adding it to the batter.