Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Camp Cooking and Game Processing
Eating deer for the first time? >

Eating deer for the first time?

Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

Eating deer for the first time?

Old 12-28-2011, 06:06 AM
Spike

Default Eating deer for the first time?

So I've never eaten deer before and I'm curious to what it tastes like. I love every meat there is and am just wondering what all I can eat on the deer. Sorry if this is the wrong section, i'm new.
Old 12-28-2011, 06:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by SmallBuck
So I've never eaten deer before and I'm curious to what it tastes like. I love every meat there is and am just wondering what all I can eat on the deer. Sorry if this is the wrong section, i'm new.
Well that's a loaded question.lol

I find it tastes a bit like lamb/beef combination??? All I know is that it is good to eat.

Heart, liver and all the meat are what I eat. I don't bother with the tongue or any of the other innards. Cut steaks, make roasts, grind burger for sausages, pepperettes or just use the burger as you would any beef burger. Don't over cook it. Medium well at the very most with medium to med-rare preferred by most people.

Enjoy!!!

HA
Old 12-28-2011, 01:40 PM
Inactive

The taste of venison can vary depending on where you hunt and what they are eating. The time of year ( ie: early fall, fall, or winter ) will also change the taste of the meat a bit. To give you an idea, because you didn't say where you were from, I'm in Ontario. The area I hunt is heavy woods, corn, hay and bean fiels ( soya ). In the early fall and late fall the deer feed on hay and horn. The meat tastes much like beef. Late in the year after heavy snows, they begin munching on cedar and spruce. Then the meat is a bit gamey. But properly hung and cured, and taken care of it is all very palatable.

As to what you can eat, I like roasts, steaks, chops stewing meat and burger. Heart and liver are also very good. The rest is coyote bait.

Good luck, and good eating.
Old 01-07-2012, 03:55 PM
Spike

We push a lot of ours through a cuber.
It seems as though the cubed meat, takes on the flavor of what you cook it with.
We use EVOO, salt. pepper, garlic.
You'd swear it is a fine veal cut.
Matter of fact, gonna' whip some up tommorrow, with onions/peppers/mushrooms. Yum.
Old 01-08-2012, 03:31 PM
Fork Horn

all depends on cut.. done right its as good as the finest cut of prime
Old 01-09-2012, 01:12 PM
Typical Buck

kind of like taggedout said, so often you are cooking it with something and it takes on that flavor. If im eating plain deer steak, id have to say it tastes alot to me like a ny strip cut steak...the flavor isnt quite as rich, which i would say is due to a deers leaner nature over a beef cow.
Old 01-22-2012, 06:14 PM
Fork Horn

A buck in the the rut tastes really gamey and nasty!!!!
Old 01-28-2012, 12:07 AM
Spike

Ok, remember Robin Hood? The whole thing was killing the crown's deer is bad. They're his, because they taste so good. You want venison? Possibly more expensive than lobster. So it must be better.

Now, reality. Deer is a great meat. Not my favorite (give me king crab), but it heavily depends upon conditions (as stated above). The backstraps are always amazing. With enough treatment even the ribs (normally considered "dog food") are edible. Everything else is great if cooked properly.
Old 02-06-2012, 10:01 PM
Spike

I have tried deer meat but it was dry. I was able to taste it few years ago and it tasted like any normal dry meat. Maybe thats because it was dry.
Old 02-10-2012, 09:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Deer meat is usually over-cooked by the un-initiated. Deer meat is very dark purple in the raw state, and most people base whether it is done or not by comparing it to beef. Beef is red when raw, and dark pink when rare, pink when medium rare and the pink is just barely gone when mediun.

Venison on the other hand starts out purple when raw, gets red when rare, reddish pink when medium rare, and pink when medium .... Once you get past pink with venison (IMO) you've got past the prime eating and it becomes tough and dry if you go for the color of medium beef. If you get to the color of medium beef the venison is medium well and since it has no intra-muscular fat it gets dry in a hurry.

My guests who insist on the venison being cooked past what i consider medium rare or medium go hungry. I won't do that to my table fare venison.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.