HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Camp Cooking and Game Processing (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/camp-cooking-game-processing-30/)
-   -   Venison Tenderloin (or backstrap) recipe (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/camp-cooking-game-processing/340373-venison-tenderloin-backstrap-recipe.html)

mrl0004 02-17-2011 09:35 AM

Venison Tenderloin (or backstrap) recipe

Tried this last night after seeing it on youtube. It was amazingly awesome delicious. You must try it! Called cajun grilled deer (and can be used on wild turkey breasts as well)

Ingredients:
2 fresh chopped jalapenos
1 8oz pkg cream cheese
dales steak seasoning
bacon
deer tenderloin
Tony Chachere's cajun seasoning

Directions:
- Marinate deer meat overnight in Dale's steak seasoning (sparingly)
- Mix well cream cheese/jalapenos/~3 tbsp of cajun seasoning
- Butterfly tenderloins and spread cream cheese mixture
- Wrap in bacon and grill until desired wellness

BJ Mueller 02-24-2011 07:30 PM

Sounds awesome. Thanks for the recipe post. I'll have to try it.

rlpsystems 02-27-2011 03:16 AM

Hell.....anythings good with Dales and bacon......

halfbakedi420 02-27-2011 06:31 AM

why waste your back strap with all that....all those seasonings are good fer the lesser desired parts. ig the liver.. innards...giblets...hearts and such.
really..cream cheese on my backstrap? sorry, cant do it..we are talking phil brand cream cheese?

try this...next time cook your back strap, .top upper part of smoker, furthest from fire for like 5-7 minutes per side in about 200-250 smoker.dont need ta saturate it in all kinds of stuff...just like ya would a fine steak..i just use salt.......alabama have similar deer to us..so when ya pull it out and cut it open, and it looks really rare..dont fret..its done..slice it up and serve it.
no smoker...the grill..butter fly the whole backstrap...throw it on the grill..fer about 2-3 minutes a side..it should just barely be brown on the outside...deer is done at 140-145...it may look raw, but it will actually be cooked...and dont swet it, you can eat deer wrong.

THIS RECIPE NOT RECOMMENDED IF YOU DONT KNOW HOW YOUR MEAT WAS HANDLED. IF YA SENT IT OFF...BURN THAT SUCKER..BETTER SAFE THEN SORRY.

jerseyhunter 02-28-2011 02:44 AM

Sounds good but I'm leaving out the Dales and marinating part. Don't want to hide all the flavor.

mrl0004 03-01-2011 05:22 PM

I just wanted to share what I tried, you're free to alter or not alter what parts you want. There are many ways to eat a deer, but I am going to do it the way I like it. As rlpsystems said, anything is good with bacon and dale's. Hell, I would eat rubber that way!

Mojotex 03-03-2011 10:30 AM

Here's one I like. Take a 6" to 10" length of back strap. Using a fine blade, extra sharp knife, such as a fish filleting knife, slice the strap along the axis at a thickness of about 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick. This creates a "sheet" of back strap, 6" to 10" wide. the thinner it is sliced the longer the sheet will be. I find 1/2 inch about right. Place a layer of finely chopped purple onion, shallots, fresh garlic, and belle pepper on the entire sheet of meat. Sprinkle to taste with salt and pepper (I use a Cajun shake). Roll the sheet back up and tie it up in several places along the length with cotton chord. Rub the out side with any seasoning that you like or just leave it bare. Slow cook over charcoal at about 250 deg., with a soup can of water next to the back strap(s). This will keep the back strap(s) moist. Remove from grill when done to your preference (rare, medium, well). I have found that 45 min., turning the strap about every 10 minutes, is about right for medium rare. Remove form the grill and take off the cotton string. Slice across the roll about 1 1/2" thick. This creates a 1 1/2" thick spiral of meat and cooked veggies. Looks good and tastes great.

flyinlowe 03-04-2011 05:51 AM

The last couple deer I have killed I have cut the backstraps in half and smoked them and the loins on my propane smoker. I marinade them overnight in a little olive oil and soy sauce. I use bark from my shag bark hickory tree. Once they reach about 130 degrees I take them off and slice them. Never had any complaints.

Irishfan 03-14-2011 03:40 PM

Sounds good. Anything is better with bacon!

Arkitekt4040 05-12-2011 06:05 AM

I have used this recipe a lot and it is the one that gets me the most compliments. Something else you can try. I add a handful of sunflower seeds (de-shelled of course) to the cream cheese/fresh jalapeno mixture. It adds a little something extra to the flavor and makes it REALLY REALLY good.