Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Camp Cooking and Game Processing
Venison Tenderloin (or backstrap) recipe >

Venison Tenderloin (or backstrap) recipe

Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

Venison Tenderloin (or backstrap) recipe

Old 05-26-2011, 03:43 AM
j76
Typical Buck

A good way that i love to cook it is start with a chunk of back strap, 8-10 in long with all the garbage removed, just a clean chunk of meat, marinate over night in teryaki, throw your favorite seasoning on top and grill whole. slice thin and serve. Teryaki seems to really compliment the venison without killing the wild game taste. When you cook it like this it tends to stay a little rare in the middle, which i usually dont like with venison, but if you can get past the pinkness it really tastes awsome.
Stays tender, very juicey and full of flavor.
Old 06-12-2011, 09:16 AM
DV1
Spike

I just finished eating a piece of backstrap that was some of the best I've had, and I've been eating them for 30 years.

Try this:

Something I do first: Take a section of strap about 5-6 inches long and thaw the meat slowly in the fridge. After thawing, I let it stay in a sealed container in the fridge for about 5 or 6 days before seasoning. This allows it to age a little and makes it more tender. You don't have to do this, but it makes for a better steak.

After setting in the fridge, sprinkle a little Grill Mates mesquite marinade on it. It's a dry seasoning and if you read the package it says to mix with oil and water. I don't do that. I just sprinkle a little seasoning on one side, then drizzle a little olive oil on the strap and mix together to form a paste. Coat it well.

Flip the meat over and do the same to the other side. Let it sit in the fridge over night.

When you are ready to cook, get your grill as hot as you can. I use a product called Grillgrates to assist in searing the meat. I have found chicken, venison and vegetables all come out much better with these grates than when I cooked them on the regular grill.

When the grill is HOT, place the strap on it for about one minute, lid down, then flip for another minute to sear both sides. After that, cook to the desired doneness, but anything over meduim really ruins a good cut of meat, and backstrap is no exception. I like them medium rare. The size of the steak will determine how long it takes to get there.

After taking it off the grill, let it rest for at least 5 minutes...do not cut it to see if it's done or stick a fork in it, remove it with tongs or a spatula. While it's resting, I grill a few skewers of peppers and mushrooms to go with it.

Whatever is left over is super tender and tasty if heated up in the oven the next day, just make sure you only heat it, and don't cook it any longer.

Best venison steaks I've ever had were done like this, as good as any filet mignon from the finer restuarants around here.
Old 09-28-2011, 03:46 PM
Typical Buck

Gotta agree with halfbaked, this is the best cut off a deer aside from the inside tenders. Very little seasoning and cook it on the rare side. This cut is the fillet mignon from a deer, you wouldn't over season a fillet from a cow would you?
Old 09-28-2011, 04:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Mojotex
Here's one I like. Take a 6" to 10" length of back strap. Using a fine blade, extra sharp knife, such as a fish filleting knife, slice the strap along the axis at a thickness of about 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick. This creates a "sheet" of back strap, 6" to 10" wide. the thinner it is sliced the longer the sheet will be. I find 1/2 inch about right. Place a layer of finely chopped purple onion, shallots, fresh garlic, and belle pepper on the entire sheet of meat. Sprinkle to taste with salt and pepper (I use a Cajun shake). Roll the sheet back up and tie it up in several places along the length with cotton chord. Rub the out side with any seasoning that you like or just leave it bare. Slow cook over charcoal at about 250 deg., with a soup can of water next to the back strap(s). This will keep the back strap(s) moist. Remove from grill when done to your preference (rare, medium, well). I have found that 45 min., turning the strap about every 10 minutes, is about right for medium rare. Remove form the grill and take off the cotton string. Slice across the roll about 1 1/2" thick. This creates a 1 1/2" thick spiral of meat and cooked veggies. Looks good and tastes great.

if ya have the magic charcoal that burns at 250*, then ya got it...but 45 mins over charcoal even at 2 inches thick is way to much..140 internal temp is what you are looking for....it should appear to be rare inside, but it will be done...if it is brown all the way through, or even an inch, its over cooked.
Old 09-30-2011, 08:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

I eat the tenderloins straight…no seasoning whatsoever. I do cook ‘em, but, to me, they’re pretty much done when you pull ‘em off the deer. 

For the backstraps, I like to do a variety of things, depending on the mood:

If I just want something simple, I cut steaks, soak in eggs an hour or so, dredge in flour seasoned with various spices, and fry it up for a just about 2 minutes each side (maybe less…I like it red!!).

If I want that marinated steak flavor, I keep the backstraps whole, and marinate in a mixture of soy, ketchup, oil, garlic and a few other things for a few hours, then throw on the grill until browned, then cut up into steaks and serve. I know that ketchup sounds weird for a marinade, but it is actually really good once mixed with the soy. I’ll will post the recipe later.

But my favorite way is similar to the OP’s recipe, except I don’t use any seasoning. Take a bunch…I mean a bunch of garlic and use a garlic press to mince it and set it aside. Lightly fry a pound of bacon and set aside (you do not want it crispy, just cooked…it will cook more later). Take a package (or several depending on how much you’re making) of Philly cream cheese and slice ½” chunks out of it, set aside. Cut 1” steaks from your backstrap and pound them out until they’re about ¼” thick (maybe even thinner), then rub a bunch of that minced garlic into each pounded steak (use a bit of olive oil to rub the garlic in). Then roll up the steaks so that you have a slice of bacon and a chunk of cream cheese on the inside and a slice of bacon rolled on the outside as well, and hold together with a toothpick. Grill on charcoal for a few minutes and enjoy!! The garlic, bacon, cream cheese and venison compliment each other so well that you do NOT need any other spices.

I made that last recipe for the Super Bowl last year, and the guests gobbled it up so fast I didn’t get any. And they didn’t know it wasn’t beef until after, LOL!! Halfbakedi420 may think Philly and backstrap are heresy, but I say try this recipe, then call it that. In the words of Semisane, “If you don’t like it, you’re probably dead!!”

Last edited by 7.62NATO; 09-30-2011 at 08:49 AM.
Old 01-06-2013, 10:19 PM
Spike

Default Venison Tenderloin recipe

The back strap I ever got the most praise for was done for a family Thanksgiving with friends and family from AL and LA(who are great cooks). We had all the usual sides and a turkey. I did a 15" piece of a backstrap from a large still-killed doe on the cool side of the smoker grill, marinated in Allegro Game Tame, with a 5# ham on the rack over it. It cooked for about 3.5 hrs until temps were right for med-rare on deer. Ham cooked a few minutes longer. People who never ate deer before had 3rds, I almost had to fight a neighbor for the left overs!
Old 01-07-2013, 05:44 AM
Fork Horn

high heat BBQ.........oil the grill.

Fresh ground pepper....salt.........3-4 minutes a side and done.

No fuss no muss, and is the best grilled meat going !

Recipes...........add this that the sink, motor oil, dandelions, tomato, ground nutmeg, a old wood chair, four quarts of buttermilk marinate for 50 hours, and roast before boiling.

all nonsense

just cook da damn meat !
Old 01-07-2013, 11:54 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by halfbakedi420
if ya have the magic charcoal that burns at 250*, then ya got it...but 45 mins over charcoal even at 2 inches thick is way to much..140 internal temp is what you are looking for....it should appear to be rare inside, but it will be done...if it is brown all the way through, or even an inch, its over cooked.
I know a lot of peopl who run charcoal smokers and keep them at about 234 to 245. My smoker is propane but I cook at the same temps and 45 minuts is about right for a large hunk of back strap. That is about how long it takes my smoker to get one to 135 degrees internal.
Old 01-09-2013, 06:54 AM
Fork Horn

The best way I like to serve them is to place backstrap steak on wax paper then smash steaks with a tenderizer hammer so they are 1/4"thick season them with blackening spice on both sides. Get out the fish cooker with a cast iron frying pan put about 4 TBLS oil in the skillet heat until white hot then toss steak in skillet 40 seconds on each side put on a bun and it will be the best steak sandwich you've ever eaten. We sell the Blackening spice on our site FriscoSpices.Com. This is the same way I do pheasant breast, chicken and fish (I dont smash the fish, but do cut it thin)
Old 01-15-2013, 09:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use this recipe for backstraps...only thing you have to adjust is the cook time...I like medium rare so I use 1-2 minutes a side. The marinade is good over steamed jasmine rice.

http://creoleindc.typepad.com/rantin...amb-chops.html

They other is to cut strips like finger steaks, dredge in flour, salt pepper, milk and egg wash and dip back in the salt,pepper flour mixture and cook in deep fryer till golden brown. serve with bbq sauce, ranch or blue cheese etc...