Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Camp Cooking and Game Processing
How To Classify Black Bear Meat? >

How To Classify Black Bear Meat?

Community
Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

How To Classify Black Bear Meat?

Old 01-15-2011, 04:41 PM
Spike

Default How To Classify Black Bear Meat?

So...just curious; I've heard so many say the bear is a cousin (genetic) of the pig. I just found out pork is bad, for me personally (dietary conflict due to blood type).

Is there any truth to this? Is Black Bear more akin to pork or is it bonafide venison (red meat like deer, elk or moose)?
Old 01-16-2011, 10:25 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
definately red meat, prolly a closer relative to the raccoon, hope the conflict isn't from grease or your not helping yourself with bear meat.
RR

Red meat? Perfect! There's ways around the grease...got a friend who recommends removing as much of the fat as possible right after the kill...he says it's outstanding the way he prepares it...and not greasy at all! My biggest concern was the type of meat black bear is. Apparently, for my blood type, pork is to be avoided...yet lean red meats are encouraged. I've always known elk, moose, deer, caribou, etc...is included in that category. Was just not sure about black bear.

Thanks for the feedback!
Old 01-27-2011, 09:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Not a good ideal to eat rare bear meat. Your right about the bear and pig, it should be be handled the same way. It should never, ever be eaten rare. Ask your butcher.

Bobby
Old 01-27-2011, 11:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ive eaten backstraps from several bear its nothing like pork IMO, much more like venison or beef, very delicious! Cook well done, bear carry trichinosis.
Old 06-20-2012, 01:58 AM
Spike

beefs of bear are very very high in proteins and iron, it's very good for persons who have problem with anemia and also hair loss problems

Last edited by jesscell; 10-30-2012 at 11:50 AM.
Old 06-23-2012, 02:23 AM
Boone & Crockett

yet lean red meats are encouraged.
I am not so sure I would call it lean meat with all the fat they have stored up. Some folks like bear meat and others like myself can not stand the taste of it. My wife keeps trying to get me to hunt one and claims she likes it. I just can not see shooting something if I am not going to eat. Now my wife has my mom bugging me to shoot because she says she likes it as well???
Old 06-26-2012, 11:46 AM
Super Moderator

Sounds like they've gained up on you, better go get yourself one! I've only tried it a few times, and it's always been ok. Never great. I think when I finally get one I'll figure out some ways to make it tasty.
-Jake
Old 06-26-2012, 01:57 PM
Boone & Crockett

I am not so sure you could make one tastey. Although I have heard that they make the best sausage ever.. I have a friend up in the Kingman area that said you ever decide to shoot one bring up some meat and he would show me how to cook it.. I just basically laughed at him and said if I was to shoot one you can have the whole darn thing. You are right though I am being pressured into shooting one. I still have no desire to though.
Old 06-27-2012, 10:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Simple......prepared properly equals good eats.

Ron