HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Camp Cooking and Game Processing (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/camp-cooking-game-processing-30/)
-   -   SOme Venison Summer sausage on a homemade smoker (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/camp-cooking-game-processing/338171-some-venison-summer-sausage-homemade-smoker.html)

DeerWhisperer 01-11-2011 09:18 PM

SOme Venison Summer sausage on a homemade smoker

Hello everyone,

I finally gave making venison summer sausage a try. It came out so good i am ready to make some more.

Being as it was my 1st attempt at this i just went with the hi mountain summer sausage kit from Bass pro.

1st i mixed the meat with the seasoning and cure provided, stuffed the fibrous casing that came with the kit and let sit for 24 hours. I then put it in the smoker at 135 degrees for 3 hours and slowly raised the temp over the next few hours after that till internal temp reached 155 degrees.
Then gave a cold water bath and hung them for 24 hours at room temp.

Below is some pics of the sausage and my smoker that i am proud of, lol.

here is my drums welded together. 2 55 gallon drums the bottom 1 cut in half. then welded together. weber grill lid fits right on the top.

a close up of my fire door at bottom of smoker

pics of outside after grinding all the rust and paint off

pics of inside

Charcaol Basket

Paint and primer

Finished pic of smoker

Sausage going in

Finished 11.5 hours later

It was fun, can't wait to smoke some more.

Bocajnala 01-12-2011 07:49 AM

WHat wood or charcol did you use for smoking? The smoker came out really nice, good job.
-Jake

rlpsystems 01-12-2011 08:51 AM

I need a neighbor like you........

DeerWhisperer 01-12-2011 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by Bocajnala (Post 3756544)
WHat wood or charcol did you use for smoking? The smoker came out really nice, good job.
-Jake

i used cowboy lump charcoal with a few fist sized chunks of hickory.

infmphunter 01-12-2011 07:31 PM

That looks awesome, both the grill and the sausage.

Chuck7 01-12-2011 11:59 PM

Fantastic Job...

gjk5 01-17-2011 02:54 PM

wow. looks great! (the smoker and the meat)

Jack Terpack 01-17-2011 02:59 PM

We make it the same way but use pecan instead of hickory. Tastes better when it's venison you hunted hard to get.

bandgod 01-19-2011 09:28 AM

We've been making our own sausage for three years now, but I use an old refridgerator for my smoker (your smoker looks much nicer than mine)...we usually do about 300-400 lbs of a combination of summer sausage, bologna, snack sticks, and brats so I need a large capacity smoker to fit all the meat ina nd get it done fairly fast. Nothing like making your own sausage though!

midwest outdoorsman 01-19-2011 03:06 PM

Deer Whisperer,May I reccomend the LEM seasonings also try adding cheese,jalepeno's,horseradish or salsa.Ihave tried all with good results
experimenting is almost the best part