Community
Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

Elk on the Grill?

Old 09-19-2010, 04:51 AM
Fork Horn

Default Elk on the Grill?

Getting ready to cook elk steaks on my grill - marinaded the meat overnight - how long do you guys recommend the cook time - it is slices about 3/4 to inch - 7-8 minutes a side? I have done whitetail before like this but not sure about elk - is it basically the same?
Old 09-20-2010, 02:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

I use an instant read thermometer to make sure they don't get ruined.
Old 09-21-2010, 03:12 AM
Typical Buck

Is there a reason you want to marinade elk steaks overnight? IMHO elk is the closest thing one can have to a good steak of beef. I sometimes marinade steak with a bit of pepper, brown sugar and teriaki but never more than 15 minutes as I want the enhanced flavor but still want the meat to stand on it's own 2 feet. Most of the time it's salt and pepper with an ocassion some garlic powder.
If the grill is hot a 3/4" cut is max of 4 minutes a side, let rest for at least 5. Meat should still be pink inside.
Old 10-03-2010, 07:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

Same as deer. Rare to Med-rare at the most. Time depends on your bbq and temp. Personally I like my grill to be red hot before placing steaks of any kind on it, I sear it on each side or cross locks (grill marks), then drop the temp to low/med and finish. Often i pull off rare, then for those who like med-rare I simply wrap the steak on a plate with foil and let stand for a 5-10 mins. All meat continues to cook after its pulled but if its in a foil dome it will cook more so then at ambient room temp.

Ruddy, I disagree elk is better then BEEF...lol! That said their are times where I pull out a fridge merinade...ie the outlaws coming for supper. Beef producers who think anything without ketchup/bbq sauce is crap! Works wonders for such unfortunate soles.

Hope your steaks were fantastic! Last night we had a sampling from my 10' bull(I shot him last saturday). Delish!!!
Old 10-03-2010, 07:45 AM
Typical Buck

Yum nothin better than elk steak!
Old 10-03-2010, 01:20 PM
Fork Horn

As with any game, I keep it rare!
Dan