HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Camp Cooking and Game Processing (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/camp-cooking-game-processing-30/)
-   -   Venison Steak Marinade? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/camp-cooking-game-processing/329244-venison-steak-marinade.html)

trevorpt 09-06-2010 08:32 PM

Venison Steak Marinade?

What do you guys think is a good combination for a good marinade?

Ive heard just a bottle of Italian dressing, but Ive yet to try it...

any suggestions? :s13:

skeeter 7MM 09-06-2010 10:35 PM

1 cup of olive oil, 3 teaspons of soya sauce, 8-10 diced toes of garlic, Tbs of thyme, Tbs marjoram, 1 Tbs of dried chives, Tbs steak spice or montreal spice, Tbs of onion powder, black pepper (to your liking) and 3 Tbs of maple syrup. I add cajun or cereole spice at times. Tbs of rosemary can also be added if you like its taste. Some of my buddies sub lemon pepper for the black pepper. This is for a couple packages of steaks, you can reduce or add as needed.

ges58 09-08-2010 04:17 PM

I use Zesty Italian dressing on my meat and it really taste great. I use it on beef, venision, elk, and any other meat. Most of the time I will marinate it for 5 days in a tupperware container made for marinating. I flip it over every day so the meat stays covered.

Fletch NY 09-10-2010 08:26 AM

Most of the time I use italian dressing with the steaks in a ziplock. Do not need a whole bottle just enough to soak and a splash of liquid smoke. Put in fridge for 2 or 3 days and shake up bag a few times. Put steaks on grill verry briefly and chow down.

Pro-Line 09-13-2010 03:52 PM

I was never a marinade guy until I tried one real similar to the one that Skeeter posted. The one I use is pretty much the same...

Soy Sauce
White wine
Olive oil
Thyme
Garlic
Marjoram
Red pepper flakes
Black pepper corns
Chili powder

Muzzlearcher 09-13-2010 06:13 PM

I use equal parts A1 and Worcestershire and soak the steaks overnight. Then I wrap them in bacon before I put them on the grill. This same marinade works great for doves too.

Sometimes I just soak'em in Italian though too.

fishforfun 10-11-2010 04:33 PM

I like the taste of venison.But if the wife might want some i will use Lite Italian dressing and not the exspensive stuff eithier.

flyinlowe 10-14-2010 11:06 AM

Like the first post I use something similar but less complex. I put 1 cup of olive oil and 1/4 cup of soy sauce. Then montreal steak seasoning. Depending on the grill you you will need to watch flare up's. The olice oil gets thick in the fridge and can really burn if you are not carefull. The trick is to take the meat off at rare to medium and let it sit for a few minutes.
I was always one of those guys that was taught and believed venison had to be well done. I started smokeing my loins and backstraps in the above marinade and I take them off when the internal temp is about 135-140 and they are delicious.

jerseyhunter 10-15-2010 02:25 AM

lightly oiled and sprinkled with garlic powder in the AM and cook in the PM.