Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Camp Cooking and Game Processing
Can you share your favorite venison recipes??? >

Can you share your favorite venison recipes???

Community
Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

Can you share your favorite venison recipes???

Old 05-19-2010, 09:05 AM
Fork Horn

Default Can you share your favorite venison recipes???

Hey guys i'm looking for some tasty and healthy recipes for venison and i was wondering if any of you guys could share your best ones. Thanks guys
Old 05-19-2010, 12:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

My favorite is to take the backstraps. Butterfly them out.
Put Olive Oil in a hot frying pan.
Add some Onion, peppers (hot, mild, whatever you like) and saute.
Add the backstraps and cook to your liking.

Enjoy
Old 05-19-2010, 02:14 PM
Spike

I can a lot of my venison as chunks of stew meat. I open a jar and pour the juice in a saucepan. I add flour salt and pepper and heat until it thickens. I add the meat and the mushrooms I sautee'd earlier and heat it some more. I add sour cream and some kitchen bouchet and serve over noodles.
Old 05-19-2010, 02:30 PM
Typical Buck

I get a good steak rub (I normally use Grill Mates) and mix it with equal parts water and olive oil. Marinate some backstrap steaks in it after tenderizing them with a meat hammer. Cook them over charcoal and leave them a little pink if you can stomach it.

Another good one (not very healthy though) is this:
Take some tenderized steaks. Dip them in a milk/egg mixture. Dredge the steaks in flour. In a skillet, heat a couple tablespoons of oil and a couple tablespoons of butter. Add the floured steaks and brown them in the oil over med heat (don't cook them completely, just brown). After browned, remove from the skillet and put them in a baking dish. Pour about 1/4 cup of beef broth into the skillet and heat to bubbling while stirring. Pour the broth/drippings over the steaks in the baking dish. On top of each steak put a teaspoon of butter, some chopped onions, a teaspoon of brown sugar, and a squirt of ketchup. (and whatever seasonings you got a hankerin' for) Cover it with foil and cook at 350 for 45 minutes. Remove the foil and cook another 15 minutes or so. It's almost like a cross between meatloaf and barbecue. You should be able to cut the meat with a fork. The drippings are really good on mashed taters!

And my personal favorite... This is a recipe for your deer tenderloin. They never make it to the fridge in our house. They always get cooked right after dressing the deer! In a saucepan, mix equal parts of brown sugar, soy sauce and butter. (I usually use about 3/4cup each) Heat the ingredients til they bubble, and then take it off the heat. Dip your tenderloins in the stuff and soak while you get your grill ready. After your charcoal is ready (or gas is on, if you're of the gas persuasion) grill the steaks over high heat for a very short time, turning a couple times and brushing more of the mixture on them. Keep it a little rare, and it may possibly be the best thing you've ever eaten! *this is also good on ham steaks*

rw
Old 05-19-2010, 03:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here's one of my favorites.
Marinade for steaks & chops....
1/4 cup of red wine vinegar
1/4 cup ketchup
1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon dried mustard
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 cloves minced garlic
Let sit overnight and grill em up!!!
ENJOY
Old 05-19-2010, 04:45 PM
Fork Horn

Thin slices of backstrap (1/4" thick) or sliced roast. Soaked in a plastic or glass dish for 24 hours in EV olive oil, fresh rosemary, sea salt, cracked pepper, and prepared mustard. Grilled a minute or so a side and served hot. It is delicious.
Old 05-28-2010, 06:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

The first is a recipe I got from online that turned out good. The second is one from a friend.

Jenny’s crockpot venison stew
· 2 tblspn vegetable oil
· I lb of venison roast cubed and trimmed.
· 1 can beefy mushroom soup
· 1 can beef noodle soup
· 8 ozs of mushroom pieces (canned or fresh)
· ½ tsp. onion powder
· 2 tsps. Worcestershire sauce

Sprinkle venison with salt and pepper. Heat 2 tbsp of oil in skillet, Sear venison on all sides. Combine venison with soups and mushrooms in crockpot. Add remaining ingredients. Cover and cook on low 9-11 hours, high 4½ to 5½ hours.

Pickled Deer heart
  • Remove the outer skin like covering from the heart and remove the fat
· Boil heart in water for at least an hour to ensure the heart is cooked through
· Slice thinly and remove any blood.
· slice an onion and clove of garlic
· Combine onion, garlic, and sliced heart in a mason jar
· Add a mixture of ¾ vinegar and ¼ water
· Add tsp of salt and pepper or to taste
· Optional: Tsp of sugar
· Seal the jar and shake the jar to mix
  • Allow the jar to sit for a few days and serve
Old 06-01-2010, 11:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

Pickled Deer heart
  • Remove the outer skin like covering from the heart and remove the fat
· Boil heart in water for at least an hour to ensure the heart is cooked through
· Slice thinly and remove any blood.
· slice an onion and clove of garlic
· Combine onion, garlic, and sliced heart in a mason jar
· Add a mixture of ¾ vinegar and ¼ water
· Add tsp of salt and pepper or to taste
· Optional: Tsp of sugar
· Seal the jar and shake the jar to mix
  • Allow the jar to sit for a few days and serve
Do you have to refrigerate it or process it, or is it preserved well enough by the vinegar?
Old 06-06-2010, 03:33 PM
Spike

I love venison white wine style, I put it on a pan and pour cooking wine on it and serve it with a salas, roasted blue potatoes and the juive of the venison and wine sometimes we do a kind of lomo saltado9 a peruvian plate) with venison, consisting of venison meat fried in the wok with onions, tomatoes and parsley served with rice and french fries
Old 06-10-2010, 05:20 PM
Fork Horn

Salt and pepper...fry eat....why go to all the trouble of harvesting game if all yer gonna do is try and drown the natural flavor with goop of one type or another???

Yep ya go and shoot a buck in the rut or some poor ole bull elk thats beyond it's prime then ya gotta do this, but then whats the point???... shoot a nice young buck or a spike elk or cow...best eatin there is!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.