Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Camp Cooking and Game Processing
Back Strap that tasted like boot leather >

Back Strap that tasted like boot leather

Community
Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

Back Strap that tasted like boot leather

Old 02-13-2010, 08:19 PM
Banned

Goggle a digital meat thermometer and a clue. Salt and pepper. Sear that piece of ash all around, shove the probe in whilst putting in a 375 oven. Leave it in there until she comes to about 137. Pull it out and let her rest for about 10 minutes. Inside temp will probably hit about 146 or so. Eat it. That's about as basic as it gets. Can't do that, go back to jerky.

800 posts, what a fn waste of time.....
Old 02-14-2010, 04:19 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by vabyrd
Goggle a digital meat thermometer and a clue. Salt and pepper. Sear that piece of ash all around, shove the probe in whilst putting in a 375 oven. Leave it in there until she comes to about 137. Pull it out and let her rest for about 10 minutes. Inside temp will probably hit about 146 or so. Eat it. That's about as basic as it gets. Can't do that, go back to jerky.

800 posts, what a fn waste of time.....
it is not a waste of time if your helping out a fellow hunter. you make it sound as if you know everything and everyone else is stupid. you deserve a couplefor that.
Old 02-14-2010, 05:32 AM
Typical Buck

If the fresh meat tasted bad, I would say that either the meat wasn't properly field dressed and handled properly and or the deer was very stressed befor being Killed, such as been run by dogs, yotes etc and it could have been a very old doe.
Old 02-14-2010, 07:00 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by noidurism
it is not a waste of time if your helping out a fellow hunter. you make it sound as if you know everything and everyone else is stupid. you deserve a couplefor that.

When it comes to cooking vittles, I'd say yep...

There are two major problems cooking venison. First is overcooking it, second is not letting it rest. You don’t need a bunch of crazy spices or tenderizers to make it taste right. Here’s how to do it, works with backstraps, roast, whatever.

Venison roast or backstrap
salt
black pepper
garlic powder
Olive oil
Red wine
Beef stock
Butter

Mix 2 parts salt with one part pepper and one part garlic powder. Coat meat liberally, let sit until room temperature. Heat few tablespoons of olive oil in a cast iron pan on med/high. Brown meat on all sides, even the ends. Once you get good brown color remove and place on sheet pan. Insert a digital thermometer probe to the thickest part of the meat. This is key, get one with a probe that stays in the oven. Place in a 375 degree oven until it reaches 136 degrees (why 136? I don’t know, it just works). Meanwhile, take the skillet you were using deglaze with the red wine, about a cup, over high heat. Then add 2 cups of beef stock and set to high heat to reduce. When it reduces to about half, add a little butter to thicken. Back to the meat. When it hits 136, remove it from the oven and set it aside for about 8 minutes, or until you see the temperature stop going up, it will usually hit about 146-148 on its own. Once rested, slice and serve with the sauce drizzled on top. Serve with some braised red cabbage, paprika roasted sweet potatoes, and the rest of the red wine and you’re in for a treat.

The trick is the resting and temperature. This ends up about medium/rare which is perfect for venison. The “gamey” taste that people talk about is usually from overcooking. Same goes for fish.

Anyway, you can do any type of spice combination for the rub, experiment. My favorite sauce is a port wine reduction (Sandleman Tawny Port is my favorite) No stock is used with this sauce, but I do add some allspice and a little cayenne pepper. The port will reduce to a syrupy consistency. Pretty good, but pricey.

For those sick of chicken fried and gravy…..

Last edited by vabyrd; 02-14-2010 at 09:38 AM. Reason: so the stoner could understand...
Old 02-14-2010, 08:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

. Heat few tablespoons in a cast iron pan on med/high.

do the heated spoons help spread the heat?

When it gets close to half,.
dont bring me in it!!!

lol just teasin..you think there are so many ingredients , and to see i basically have done this recipe before, tells me we only have lil to work with lol...definitely experiment with flavors ya like...smoked is the best jmo
Old 02-14-2010, 09:43 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by halfbakedi420
dont bring me in it!!!

lol just teasin..you think there are so many ingredients , and to see i basically have done this recipe before, tells me we only have lil to work with lol...definitely experiment with flavors ya like...smoked is the best jmo
I figured someone that liked to be half baked would appreciate heating up a few teaspoons....

Kosher/sea salt and ground black pepper is all you need for a good piece of meat. Temperature and technique is the difference between food and garbage.
Old 02-14-2010, 01:47 PM
Fork Horn

Hey, thanks for all the suggestions and help. I will more closely monitor the cooking temp and time. I would hate to have vabyrd have to post about this anymore
Old 02-15-2010, 06:53 AM
Typical Buck

When it comes to cooking vittles, I'd say yep...

There are two major problems cooking venison. First is overcooking it, second is not letting it rest. You don’t need a bunch of crazy spices or tenderizers to make it taste right. Here’s how to do it, works with backstraps, roast, whatever.

Venison roast or backstrap
salt
black pepper
garlic powder
Olive oil
Red wine
Beef stock
Butter

Mix 2 parts salt with one part pepper and one part garlic powder. Coat meat liberally, let sit until room temperature. Heat few tablespoons of olive oil in a cast iron pan on med/high. Brown meat on all sides, even the ends. Once you get good brown color remove and place on sheet pan. Insert a digital thermometer probe to the thickest part of the meat. This is key, get one with a probe that stays in the oven. Place in a 375 degree oven until it reaches 136 degrees (why 136? I don’t know, it just works). Meanwhile, take the skillet you were using deglaze with the red wine, about a cup, over high heat. Then add 2 cups of beef stock and set to high heat to reduce. When it reduces to about half, add a little butter to thicken. Back to the meat. When it hits 136, remove it from the oven and set it aside for about 8 minutes, or until you see the temperature stop going up, it will usually hit about 146-148 on its own. Once rested, slice and serve with the sauce drizzled on top. Serve with some braised red cabbage, paprika roasted sweet potatoes, and the rest of the red wine and you’re in for a treat.

The trick is the resting and temperature. This ends up about medium/rare which is perfect for venison. The “gamey” taste that people talk about is usually from overcooking. Same goes for fish.

Anyway, you can do any type of spice combination for the rub, experiment. My favorite sauce is a port wine reduction (Sandleman Tawny Port is my favorite) No stock is used with this sauce, but I do add some allspice and a little cayenne pepper. The port will reduce to a syrupy consistency. Pretty good, but pricey.

For those sick of chicken fried and gravy…..
okay smartie pants..."when it comes to cooking vittles, i'd say yep...." then you go on to say"place in a 375 degree oven until it reaches 136 degrees(why 136? i don't know,it just works)" you just admitted you don't know right there - so therefore you don't know it all!!!! if you knew it all you would know why. if your 800 post was a fn waste of time, then why would you even post/reply or to that matter even get on the camp cooking thread since you know it all. you're contradicting yourself. i'm sure you've learned something on here(whether you admit it or not). i'm sure you could still learn a thing or two. and what makes you so sure that it was his cooking that made his meat turn out so bad? it could be some bad meat or the handleing of it, any number of things and possibly more than one. i'm sure you're a better cook than i(and i really don't care). i'm on here to learn and also help someone out if i can, not slam or degrade them. so tell me now - how does your foot taste? i bet it tastes like rubbery leather and whatever else may be stuck in the treads!!!!
Old 02-15-2010, 01:12 PM
Fork Horn

Did you do a good job of removing all of the fat? "Gamey" flavor in venison is usually from only the fat. It also may be gamey if left above 40 deg too long.
Old 02-15-2010, 02:01 PM
Fork Horn

There was no fat on the backstrap and I was pretty careful about keeping the meat cool, as in below 40. Another thing that I'm wondering about was the tenderloins. I shot the doe around 4:30pm in Virginia on Dec 11. Gutted 30 minutes later than fully dressed out by 8pm. Now when I cooked up the tenderloins to celebrate the kill they tasted gawd aweful. I know they were not overcooked because a couple of people thought the raw meat would make them sick. Question is. Do you need to age all cuts to allow enzymes to break down tissue or/are tenderloins/backstrap tender off the bone?