Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

Preparing the meat

Old 02-07-2010, 04:27 PM
Spike

Default Preparing the meat

I'm new to this. I just harvested my first buck a couple of weeks ago. I got the ribs and backstrap cut up. What is the slimey stuff on the outside of the meat. Membraine? What's the easiest way to get it off the meat? That stuff is a pain. Thanks guys.
Old 02-07-2010, 04:50 PM
Spike

thats called silver skin & cutting is about the best way to remove,if im cutting for stew meat i don bother removing from small peices of meat,it will cook down & be gone by the time your ready to eat,i always remove from steaks & as much as i can from roasts so the seasonings can penetrate the meat,congrats on the deer,hope you get many more,mike300wm
Old 02-07-2010, 05:49 PM
Typical Buck

If its slimy that means you wrapped it in plastic. let the meat air dry in the fridge to develop a skin. then remove all fat,sinew, blue membrane
Old 02-07-2010, 05:57 PM
Typical Buck

When you first kill em put the meat directly in ice in a cooler and drain the water off daily replacing ice as needed until the water aint real bloody, at that point that membrane is real firm and easier to trim.
Congratulations on the deer, youve done messed up now youre probly addicted
Old 02-09-2010, 10:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

Don't fret it. That slimey stuff is just collagen. You can scrape it off with your knife. or partially freeze and peel off then slice into steaks. The so called blue skin is not slimey and can be cut off the same way you skin a fish. You tube has many videos on butchering. Handling of the deer should be thought of and taken care of before you pull the trigger or release the arrow.
Old 02-11-2010, 09:59 AM
Typical Buck

Anybody else on here keep the ribs?? I asked about it once but was told that they aren't any good. I usually just trim the meat out and put it in the sausage pile.
Old 02-13-2010, 05:14 AM
Fork Horn

I seldom use the ribs unless the deer is a real hog of one and very lean. The fat on deer does not cook off like pig or cow.
I will disagree with the recommendation of soaking the meat in water. This will creat an environment which will be ripe for bacteria, which can spoil your meat. Keep it cool, but to the air and dry.
Old 02-25-2010, 07:34 PM
Spike

Anybody else on here keep the ribs?? I asked about it once but was told that they aren't any good. I usually just trim the meat out and put it in the sausage pile.

Yes, I'll keep ribs. They can be good, but they require a lot of special treatment and long cooking time to start to get rid of the tallow. And then you get very little meat out of it. Basically you have to treat like like the worst of the worst cut, which is why they usually get thrown away.
Old 02-26-2010, 04:09 AM
Typical Buck

Dog food! IMHO
Old 02-26-2010, 07:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Rib meat goes to the burger pile at my house.

HA

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.