Community
Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

making your own smoker

Old 09-21-2010, 05:55 PM
Spike

I made this one for a total of $150. Smoking chamber is an old air compressor.
Old 09-22-2010, 12:27 PM
Typical Buck

If you don't mind me hi jacking the thread I have a related question. I bought this grill off of a friend the other day and I want to add a smoker box. The grill itself is a 60 gallon compressor tank. I read somewhere that on bigger smokers you need some baffles inside the cooker or else the end furthest from the smoker box won't get warm enough. I have a smoke but it is one of the cylinder shaped tall ones. If I were to add a smoker box to the end of this cooker would I need something to help transfer the heat or not???
Attached Thumbnails making your own smoker-dscf4842.jpg   making your own smoker-dscf4843.jpg  
Old 09-23-2010, 02:38 AM
Spike

Put the firebox on the same side as the smokestack/chimney. Make sure the smoke enters the smoking chamber on the bottom or very low on the side of the smoking chamber. Get some thin steel and cut it so it lays on the bottom of the smoke chamber but above where the smoke enters. What you are trying to do is get the smoke to enter and travel under the thin steel(baffles?) travel to the other end of the smoking chamber. THEN the smoke will rise and go across all of the meat and out the pipe. So in essence the smoke travels from left to right under the baffles then right to left to exit the smokestack. I hope this makes sense but it was explained to me that this helps even out the heat.
Here are a few links to help figure out sizing of firebox to smoke chamber.
http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/vi...3bce94dfdaa474
http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20871
Old 09-23-2010, 05:07 AM
Typical Buck

Thanks for the info, I would have gotten that one wrong. I will have to take a close look inside the cooker. I know there is a grate inside in the bottom charcoal when it is used as designed. Hopefully there is enough room under that grate to put the "baffle". I'll do some more research. Thanks for the links.
Old 10-14-2010, 11:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Find an old blown out gas grille (alot of them around). The short and simple is to Gut all the gas parts. I got one(a Freebie)that had the burners burned/rusted out, among other problems.
I turned the whole thing into a charcoal smoker/rotiseri grille. I just finished. I love it!
El- Cheapo!