Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Camp Cooking and Game Processing
More jerky questions...using cure?  Don't want to refrigerate? >

More jerky questions...using cure? Don't want to refrigerate?

Community
Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

More jerky questions...using cure? Don't want to refrigerate?

Old 12-15-2009, 08:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default More jerky questions...using cure? Don't want to refrigerate?

Okay, when you get the jerky in the store, it ain't frozen or refrigerated. I assume they use cure. Most of the recipes I've seen on this site do NOT use cure. Why is that? And most people are saying to vacuum seal it and freeze it. Why? Why can't it be stored at room temperature for a very long time, as long as it's sealed? Wasn't that part of the original intent of jerking? To save the meat w/o refrigeration??
Old 12-15-2009, 02:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

I made one patch of beef jerky when i got my dehydrator and jerky gun. Cured and dried. Half went to the freezer and half sit out. Two or three days later I woke to molded jerky. I think it would be ok at room temps if you do it right and are not in a humid area. I would cure vacuum seal then leave out if you wish. Me i would still refrigerate it
Old 12-15-2009, 03:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

You can leave it out as long as it's in a brown paper bag barely closed, this way it can breathe. Only draw back is that they will continue to keep drying and turn brittle.
Old 12-15-2009, 05:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Maybe all you need are those moisture-absorbing "do not eat" packs that come in a variety of products. You know the ones I mean?
Old 12-16-2009, 03:59 AM
Typical Buck

You have two options if you don't want to keep it frozen . Add chemicals to preserve the jerky or dry it hard as a rock. Even once it is dried it must be sealed up or it will absorbe moisture and mold.
Old 12-21-2009, 09:56 AM
Spike

I smoke my jerky, do not use any cure, except for salt. Never had a problem with mold, but I keep mine in the fridge. My brother makes his with just salt and pepper, and he leaves his out on the counter. He never had a problem either. Not sure if it is because you used a dehydrator and we smoke ours.