Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Camp Cooking and Game Processing
You ever smoked back straps and loins? >

You ever smoked back straps and loins?

Community
Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

You ever smoked back straps and loins?

Old 12-11-2009, 01:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

it is important to butter fly cut the back strap..or you will have a tough outer with a raw inner....if the back strap is huge, double butter fly cut it..but normally just once is enough...if you have your smoker at 250-300, it will be plenty enough time..10-15 minutes per side..15 if you are at 250, and 10 if you are at 300..the loins will be 5-10 minutes...

you heard the guy say below..he had it once, it was tough and dry(or whatever)..this is product of over cooking.
Old 12-11-2009, 04:06 PM
Fork Horn

Make sure to cut the silver skin/ sinew off of the backstrap. I have then soaked mine in hot & spicy allegro marinade overnight. Then smoke with 1 or 2 panfuls in my GOSM smoker @ 225 or so. I cooked till 140-145 internal (about 1.5-2 hrs). Perfectly medium rare and delicious. Not even close to dried out. In fact I am smoking another backstrap for xmas eve app with spicy mustard, good cheese and crackers. This will become part of your regular rotation for inner tenderloin or backstrap once you do it.
Old 12-12-2009, 01:00 AM
Dominant Buck

I've smoked alot but would not smoke my backstraps..I use a charcoal smoker with grapefruit wood. My temps don't get that hot..250 tops.

In my smoker the venison would not be ready in 10 minutes..not even my salmon fillets are ready in 10 minutes..I'm sure a gas smoker would cut the time down though.
Congrats on the deer.
C7
Old 12-12-2009, 09:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

i use a wood smoker....i can go down to about 180...up to 500(never do but i can) yes they will cook in 10-15 minutes per side no problem...or llisten to the guy who wouldnt smoke them
i have mastered this over 15 years, what would i know..i kno i kno..hit it again

Originally Posted by Chuck7
I've smoked alot but would not smoke my backstraps..I use a charcoal smoker with grapefruit wood. My temps don't get that hot..250 tops.

In my smoker the venison would not be ready in 10 minutes..not even my salmon fillets are ready in 10 minutes..I'm sure a gas smoker would cut the time down though.
Congrats on the deer.
C7
Old 12-12-2009, 11:31 AM
Dominant Buck

Sorry..I missed the 15 minutes per side..I thought you met 10 - 15 minutes total..30 minutes on a pre heated smoker..should be no problem.

I do know my smoker takes an awful long time to smoke anything..chicken quarters, butt roast, ribs, or turkey ..
Old 12-14-2009, 06:08 PM
Typical Buck

Here's the plan. I just cut and cleaned the backstraps and loins out of a small doe I killed early Sat. They are soaking in a mixture of Soy Sauce, Olive oil, Montreal steak seasoning, and lemon pepper. Tomorrow evening they will go in the smoker with some fresh hickory bark. The back straps are not real thick from this doe. Maybe 2-3 inches when laid flat. I have never butterfly cut them before. Do I stand them up (so to speak) on the edge and butterfly them that way? I hope that makes sense. Or should I just lay them flat and flip them halfway through?
Old 12-15-2009, 02:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

the loins are about as big as a roll of store bought cookies if your lucky those are backstraps. I was going to smoke the ones i just got but i split the deer with a buddy who helped with the butcher. I slow cooked and bbq some fried and bbq the backstraps. One pack left in the fridge. I got one roast left for some more bbq. Maybe the next one will hit the smoker. Though tomorrow i will be prepping some for summer sausage.
Old 12-16-2009, 06:00 AM
Typical Buck

UPDATE
I smoked the loins and backstraps last night and this was the BEST venison any of us had ever had. The loins were done in about 30 minutes total, and fell apart in your mouth. The bacstraps took about an hour (I did not butterfly them) and they turned out perfect as well. They were not quite as tender as the lions (but what is) but they tasted just as good. It was really windy here last night so I had a little trouble keeping temps regulated and the burner lit. The fresh shag bark hickory made a lot of smoke. There was five of us and there was just a few pieces of the backstrap left last night. We probably ate a least a pound per person.
This was the first time I cooked and ate any venison that was rare/med rare. It was a big hit with everyone.
Old 12-16-2009, 12:05 PM
Boone & Crockett

Did you smoke the backstraps whole?

I usually smoke a whole pork loin this time of year, but i use an actual smokehouse, not a store-bought smoker. The main purpose is for flavoring, not to cook it entirely. I just season the thing well with Creole seasoning and then hang it over a nice fire that is, ideally, a mixture of green sweet gum and dry hickory. I generally get it to where it is about a third to halfway cooked. We then bake it whole in the oven and slice it to eat.

It would be interesting to try that whole process with a whole legnth of backstrap but with a much lower heat, and for not nearly as long, then bake the thing until it is about medium in the oven.
Old 12-16-2009, 08:47 PM
Fork Horn

Sweet Gum? I didn't know you used that for anything. Does it have a good tasting smoke?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.