Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Camp Cooking and Game Processing
You ever smoked back straps and loins? >

You ever smoked back straps and loins?

Community
Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

You ever smoked back straps and loins?

Old 12-09-2009, 04:30 AM
Typical Buck

Default You ever smoked back straps and loins?

I killed a decent buck last weekend and was thinking about placing the loins and back straps in my smoker and smoking them. I've always done the standard slice and fry at high heat. I love them but was thinking about something different.
What do you think.
Old 12-09-2009, 09:46 AM
Typical Buck

never have, but you intrigue me a lot by asking
Old 12-09-2009, 10:36 AM
Fork Horn

I haven't yet but want to. It's good to try meat different ways. And I'm sure it would be so delicious out of the smoker, cause anything usually is. Go for it, I am going to try one out next year.
Old 12-09-2009, 10:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

is a frogs arse water tight?...does a 1 legged duck swim in a circle?

smoke em yes..the tender loins will take alot less time than the backstrap(if whole) the inside will look just about raw..do not over cook it, this is not a brisket and should be very "raw looking" inside..

i use a new brunfels indirect heat smoker...hanging cabinet with a fire box on the side.

smokin at about 250f .
backstrap..marinade and butterfly cut it....

tenderloin...cut into 1 1/2 " strips long ways...

place the backstrap on the top rack of the smoker box for about 15 minutes per side, if you have a tendency to wanna over cook it, cut it in 1/2 and over cook the 2nd half and do a taste test, the over cooked one will be tough and chewy, imo

the loins...top rack about 5-10 minutes on each side...remember, dont over cook them..

i cant explain how easy it is to over cook them..kinda like a rare steak eater, just cook for color..but the meat is done.
Old 12-09-2009, 04:12 PM
Typical Buck

Half baked
If it is only getting smoked for several minutes per side as you suggested is there any reason to smoke it and not just put it on a grill. I have never smoked deer so if it is totally different then I apologize, but at a low temp will anything even happen in ten minutes? I know I don't want to over cook it but I would say that my loins and back straps combined weigh several pounds. I know smoking a couple pounds of ribs or chops takes several hours. I know the loins are a small cut but for packaging reasons I just removed the back straps and cut them in half, so I have four pretty good sized hunks of meat. I would think it would take a couple hours on the smoker to get them up to temp. I have a vertical propane smoker. Last year I did a 10 pound turkey and I am thinking it took several hours.
Old 12-09-2009, 09:07 PM
Fork Horn

I've never smoked venison, for fear that it would be dry and tough. I guess if you kept a close eye on it you could do it. I bet it would be really good tasting if you got it just right. Also, either spritzing it frequently with water or apple juice might prevent drying out, or even using a water pan under the meat to add humidity. I think I will try to smoke some soon. Got my curiosity up.
Old 12-10-2009, 09:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/for...ad.php?t=66192
Old 12-11-2009, 04:49 AM
Typical Buck

I'm not a pro and have only recently started butchering my own deer, but are those loins or backstrap in that pic. They looked like backstrap to me but nobody corrected the poster (who stated they were loins).
Old 12-11-2009, 06:37 AM
Fork Horn

Those are backstraps. Loins are much smaller.
Old 12-11-2009, 01:13 PM
Typical Buck

Thats what I thought, I would like to catch up with a buck that had loins that size

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.