Community
Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

Packaging yout ground veneson

Old 12-03-2009, 07:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Packaging yout ground veneson

How do you package it? Right now I have 2, 1 gallon freezer bags full of scraps ready to be ground. After I grind it, and have it all mixed, how do you package it. I will want it in 1 pound packages.
Old 12-03-2009, 12:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

I usually pack it into a plastic ziploc snack bag leaving a little room, it holds 8 oz's, I then press my fingers in the middle to sort of separate 2 halves, and fold back and forth till separated. I then freeze. after frozen I transfer pkgs into a freezer bag, doing it this way I can grab 1 package for burgers or 2 for say tacos or chili etc.
Old 12-03-2009, 02:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

Great idea Jersey, thanks!
Old 12-06-2009, 12:35 AM
Fork Horn

I put 1lb in a ziploc bag, and then wrap in paper (nothing fancy, I use junk-mail store adds, etc. with masking tape labels). Lasts for a year easy at 0. I just ate some tonight, the last of my '08 deer. It was perfect when unwrapped.
Old 01-05-2010, 11:55 AM
Typical Buck

I have the "Food Saver",,,i usually do mine in 2lb packages,,,vacuum all the air out seals it and i have never had a piece of meat go bad (yet). Best machine made since the bread slicer!
Old 01-07-2010, 06:07 AM
Typical Buck

I too use the vacuum sealer and a cheap set of digital scales, one inch packs.
Old 01-07-2010, 06:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

CARNIVORE
i agree with the vacuum sealer since we usually only eat deer, buffalo or hog (i dont buy meat from the store), and i only get a few months to hunt, i have to make meat last so i dont wanna open it in october to find it freezer burnt. the grind i leave in a 1 gallon (usually3-5 of these) freezer bag til its sausage makin time.

anyone re-use the vacuum sealer bags...i always cut em a lil bigger and run em through the dishwasher inside out after each use. i prolly have enough to last my whole life lol.

depends on how big your family is..my fam of 4 we usually do about 1.5 lbs a nite..burgers is at least 2, but i write on the freezer bag what it is , on the part i cut off...i e lemon pepper back straps deer, loins deer..loins hog..rib meat(fajitas) , burger for deer burger or hog burger..tacos etc
Old 01-07-2010, 01:22 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by rem700man
I have the "Food Saver",,,i usually do mine in 2lb packages,,,vacuum all the air out seals it and i have never had a piece of meat go bad (yet). Best machine made since the bread slicer!
Love my Food Saver!!
Old 01-08-2010, 06:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Food saver here!
Never used to recycle the bags till last year not all but some.
Old 03-02-2010, 03:58 AM
Spike

Hi jersey..
Really you gave a nice idea ...its really appreciable ..Keep going on ..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.