HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Camp Cooking and Game Processing (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/camp-cooking-game-processing-30/)
-   -   Venison on ice?? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/camp-cooking-game-processing/310557-venison-ice.html)

cynikalHC 11-23-2009 01:47 PM

Venison on ice??

How long do you think that venison will stay good for on ice in an ice chest. With refilling the ice to make sure it keeps cool as well as keeping it up on top of some ice to keep from getting water logged?

iSnipe 11-23-2009 02:05 PM

I don't know, but I would be comfortable sticking a thermometer in the thickest part of the meat and leaving it there to see the temp. I would also have a 2nd one just to see the temp within the compartment... with no ice on it of course. LOL!

I know meat at 40°-43° will age deer pretty good for several days. If it's warm out, another way I age deer, is to debone the meat, by removing it from the carcass and place in larger Tupperware containers and place in the refrigerator for several days.

Regardless of what I do, the first thing I do is remove the backstraps and loins inside the body cavity. The rest usually hangs for a few days, unless it's warm, then it gets removed and put in the refrigerator.

iSnipe

7.62NATO 11-23-2009 02:20 PM

I usually try to get it OFF of ice ASAP, as I don't like the way it looks or tastes when it becomes waterlogged (if that's what you call it). It seems to me that any time the meat is exposed to direct moisture, the outer layers start to turn a brownish, greyish color.

I'm attempting this guy's aging method this season, since I can't hang my deer in my climate and I don't have room to age the venison in the fridge (especially if I get more than one in an outing).

Perfect Venison With Perfect Ease

huntr4lfe 11-23-2009 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by 7.62NATO (Post 3510066)

Hey thanks for this. I just might try this out!

25/06 11-26-2009 03:06 PM

I always keep my deer iced down in a cooler for at least a day or 2. I dont know what the longest time has been. I think 3 to 4 days would be max. I put the ice right on top. I have never had a problem with the taste of the meat nor have I had anyone else complain for that matter. JMO

Ol'Mongo 11-26-2009 03:43 PM

I use a good muslin game bag (not one of those cheese cloth things), skin it, open up the cavity, hang it over night in the bag to get a good glaze on them and they're indestructable in all but sustained high temps. Make sure they are kept in the shade. If you have to ice them use dry ice (on the bottom for cool or on the top for freezing). I've hung them for the better part of a week like this with no problem at all. The only one I ever lost was iced in a cooler.

SyPTo 11-26-2009 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by 7.62NATO (Post 3510066)

thats the way i been doing it for years...

halfbakedi420 11-26-2009 04:30 PM

i leave the deer in an ice chest with the drain plug open til the rigger goes away, then process myself and store. some times 6-10 bags of ice dependin on how hot it is..i live in texas and hangin deer outside aint an option

isatarak 11-26-2009 06:00 PM

I agree except I don't field dress and don't see the need unless you can't get the deer cleaned for a while. Hang the deer up by the hind legs. That is what gambrels are for. Ribs aren't worth messing with. Neck and flank meat is for the dogs.

7.62NATO 11-27-2009 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by isatarak (Post 3512800)
I agree except I don't field dress and don't see the need unless you can't get the deer cleaned for a while. Hang the deer up by the hind legs. That is what gambrels are for. Ribs aren't worth messing with. Neck and flank meat is for the dogs.

Do you all give the dogs raw venison and unboiled/cooked bones? I'm never sure what to do here, so I always give them cooked scraps and bones.