Community
Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

venison bacon

Old 11-05-2009, 04:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default venison bacon

any one made the ground venison and pork bacon. the stuff you put into loaves and smoke. ive had some and its really good. just wondering how to make it and if it has to be done in a smoker or can you do it in an oven?
Old 11-08-2009, 08:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

www.curleyssausagekitchen.com
Curley’ Sausage Kitchen,
111 Christopher Ct.
Fairbank IA. 50629
319-635-2236
Venison Bacon Recipe – 25# Batch
13# Venison and 12# pork/or 15# Venison 10# pork
1 bag Venison Bacon Unit
1 oz. sure cure.
4 cups (2#) cold water
Procedure:
*Grind venison and pork once through 1/8th plate.
*Place in mixing pan and mix all ingredients by hand for 10 minutes.
*Lay mixture in a 2" glass or plastic pan. Use hands to push down on meat to make a
firm texture. Cover with plastic and put in refrigerator overnight.
Smoking:
*Carefully turn pan upside down on smokehouse screens so meat falls out of pan.
*Set smokehouse temp at 130 degrees for 1 hour or until dry - damper open.
*Set smokehouse temp to 150-160 degrees - damper 1/2 open - smoke 2-3 hours or until
desired color.
*Set smokehouse temp 170-180 degrees - no smoke - damper closed until internal temp
is 155 degrees.
*Refrigerate overnight. Slice, package and freeze.
**50# Batch – ingredients x 2 **100# Batch – ingredients x 4

Venison Bacon Recipe – 25 lb. batch

Day 1:
- I use 50 – (approx. 12.5 lbs) venison to 50 – (approx. 12.5 lbs.) 80/20 pork/fat.
- I grind these through the grinder once using a coarse grinder plate, and then do a thorough mix of the meats and then grind one more time through the grinder using a fine grinder plate.
- Then in a tub I add the seasoning to the mix, cure, an ounce of flavor booster and 4 cups of water. This stuff is sticky, reminds me of the perfect meat glue…… The seasoning and flavor booster is a premix that I order from Curley’s Sausage Kitchen online. Then I pack the seasoned meats into tin foil loaf pans (about 2 inches thick, about the width of a slice of bacon) for the meat to set up over night in the refrigerator and firm up. When setting in the fridge, make sure meat is well covered. I use wax paper and set pans on top of each other and will pack 4 or 5 high.

Day 2:
- Place meat pan upside down onto your smoking racks and gently remove the meat mixture onto your smoking racks. (This is the point why I like to use tinfoil pans. The consistency of the mixture is very sticky and bending the pans to get the meat loaf mixture out in one piece is easier with a tinfoil pan.)
- I put it in the smoker at 130 degree’s for an hour with no smoke and damper wide open for drying purposes.
- Then add smoke and move up to 160 degree’s for 2 hours with the damper half open.
- Then I remove the smoke and move up to 180 degree for about 4 more hours. I remove it from the smoker when the internal temperature reaches 155 degree’s. I have moved up to 200 degree’s with no problems if getting the internal temp of 155 is taking too long.
- Take out and let meat cool, then I bag the meat loafs separately and again, refrigerate over night.

Day 3:
- Slice meat to your personal bacon thickness preference, package and freeze. Or if you are anxious and hungry, just start cooking it like you would normal bacon !!!

I'm sure you could use the oven but you would probably have to add liquid smoke to the mix. but not necessary.