Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Camp Cooking and Game Processing
Low down on dehydrators and jerky ect... >

Low down on dehydrators and jerky ect...

Community
Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

Low down on dehydrators and jerky ect...

Old 10-30-2009, 07:09 AM
Spike

i've got an old(ish) dehydrator, no idea what brand it is, and i plan on trying my hand at some venison jerky this weekend. I've never made jerky before and my main concern is knowing when it's done. I don't want it over done obviously but i want to know what to look for that will tell me it's done. I'd hate my kids to get sick off of it or something...
Old 10-30-2009, 09:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Jerky is usually cured instead of cooked. It is raw meat. "Doneness" is based on how dry you like it. Although, my sliced beef jerky is not cured nor cooked. I refrigerate it after jerking. Never been sick from it. Salt Petre can be used to cure meat.

byg,
I don't recommend using ground beef. Too much fat. The jerky will fall apart.

I use ground deer and sliced beef each with its' own recipe.
Old 11-23-2009, 03:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by vabyrd
Not for raw meat?? What the heck did you buy? Let me walk you through this:

Per pound of raw meat, cut with the grain, marinate in...

1/2 cup soy sauce
1/3 cup Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp meat tenderizer
1 tablespoon brown sugar

soak it overnight or longer. lay out the strips on drying rack, dry at 150 or so until firm, not brittle.

thats about it. I mess around with the measurements above, depending what Im in the mood for. Never tried the ground stuff. If i grind it, its for burger.

Why with the grain? Is that the jerky standard? Isn't it difficult to cut that way...i.e. it kinda falls apart? Also, what method do you use to cut the jerky THIN? Is there a particular technique or tool you use?

About how long does it take in the oven @ 150? Once jerked via this method, how long does it keep unrefrigerated? I'd hope for a very long time!!
Old 11-23-2009, 04:52 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 7.62NATO
Why with the grain? Is that the jerky standard? Isn't it difficult to cut that way...i.e. it kinda falls apart? Also, what method do you use to cut the jerky THIN? Is there a particular technique or tool you use?

About how long does it take in the oven @ 150? Once jerked via this method, how long does it keep unrefrigerated? I'd hope for a very long time!!
If you cut it across the grain (like a steak) it will tend to crumble. I think it takes about 4-6 hours @150. Just check a piece every hour or so. You don't want it to be dried so hard that its brittle. You want some flex in it. I usually try to cut mine about 1/4" thick, and its best to cut it when its just slightly frozen because its easier to handle. As far as tools go, just a good sharp chefs knife. I usually vacuum seal it and throw it in the freezer. I've had over a year before and it's still good. I don't know how long it lasts without refrigeration.

Just try a small batch first and see how you like it, then you can tinker with the recipe to your liking. It's pretty simple, don't worry too much about it. If you decide you really like it, I'd buy a dehydrator. They are pretty cheap and make it easy to do.
Old 11-27-2009, 12:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks. You'd think jerky would last a very long time without refrigeration as long as it was vacuum sealed. I kinda thought that was half the point of jerking.
Old 11-30-2009, 04:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

without refrig, it will last a few months and start to spoil, with fridge, six - 8 months, freezer, about a year. but it you make it right you won't have to worry about it, it will be gone long before that.