Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Camp Cooking and Game Processing
Low down on dehydrators and jerky ect... >

Low down on dehydrators and jerky ect...

Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

Low down on dehydrators and jerky ect...

Old 10-23-2009, 03:03 PM
byg
Spike

Default Low down on dehydrators and jerky ect...

Ok fella, tell me what you know... I am thinking about getting one to make jeky etc.. I have no experience, and I do not plan on going commercial with it.LOL...Is there a good basic unit out there and what should I look for in one

Thanks
Byg
Old 10-23-2009, 05:01 PM
Banned

You can get a basic unit for about 40 bucks at wally. Nothing fancy. You can also put a cookie rack a sheet pan in a 150 degree oven with the door slightly cracked. the trays on the dehydrator are the way to go, just make sure you rotate them. I always use what I had left over from last years to make jerky.
Old 10-23-2009, 06:25 PM
byg
Spike

Thanks for the replies... I bought a chepo at harbor freight and it says it not for raw meat so I figured it didnt heat enough for what I needed.. I assume the better ones are ok for using raw meat? What do you guys think is better ground or sliced meat?
Old 10-23-2009, 06:57 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by byg
Thanks for the replies... I bought a chepo at harbor freight and it says it not for raw meat so I figured it didnt heat enough for what I needed.. I assume the better ones are ok for using raw meat? What do you guys think is better ground or sliced meat?
Not for raw meat?? What the heck did you buy? Let me walk you through this:

Per pound of raw meat, cut with the grain, marinate in...

1/2 cup soy sauce
1/3 cup Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp meat tenderizer
1 tablespoon brown sugar

soak it overnight or longer. lay out the strips on drying rack, dry at 150 or so until firm, not brittle.

thats about it. I mess around with the measurements above, depending what Im in the mood for. Never tried the ground stuff. If i grind it, its for burger.
Old 10-24-2009, 03:01 AM
Typical Buck

cut your meat thin to speed up drying time. get a dehydrator with a fan,it will work way better then one without a fan.i used to make jerky all the time,but i got tired of reducing my deer down to a few ziplock bags,just takes to much meat to make it.
Old 10-24-2009, 03:26 AM
Spike

i really like my nesco american harvester but go ahead and buy 4 extra trays. think wally world has them. had trouble finding extra trays so ended up getting them on internet but dont remember the site.
Old 10-24-2009, 05:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

There are a jillion jerky recipes out there. Do an online search. It does make the house smell so good too. Good luck and have fun experimenting.
Old 10-24-2009, 05:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

I like the ground as it is not real tough. I got mine at bass pro for like 30 bucks. worked great untill my dad dried some pole beans for the next years garden. For some reason the trays cracked all over the grids. i took it back and got a new one. It has been sitting, getting moved, and stuffed somewhere for more then two years since i got it. Never used Hopefully i get a deer to stick in it soon. Though this post just got me wanting to go make some beef jerky.
Old 10-24-2009, 05:04 PM
byg
Spike

I got a nesco american harvester, came witht the jerky gun and some seasoning. I am doing a practice run with some ground round(beef). It is kinda vague on drying times says 4-14 hrs..How long do you guys usually let it dehydrate for.. When it comes time for the venison I would like to know what I am doing LOL
Old 10-25-2009, 02:55 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by vabyrd
Not for raw meat?? What the heck did you buy? Let me walk you through this:

Per pound of raw meat, cut with the grain, marinate in...

1/2 cup soy sauce
1/3 cup Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp meat tenderizer
1 tablespoon brown sugar

soak it overnight or longer. lay out the strips on drying rack, dry at 150 or so until firm, not brittle.

thats about it. I mess around with the measurements above, depending what Im in the mood for. Never tried the ground stuff. If i grind it, its for burger.

I like this recipe except I like to add a little liquid smoke for an added taste..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.