Community
Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

Venison Ribs help

Old 10-16-2009, 07:17 AM
Fork Horn

Default Venison Ribs help

Has anyone tried ribs from a deer? I asked the processor to keep them for me this time and I'm just wondering how you have prepared them. Any recipes, techniques work for you?

Thanks in advance!

Parker
Old 10-16-2009, 07:41 AM
Boone & Crockett

My mom used to poor barbque sauce over them and cook them in the oven.. They were real tender that way but I didn't care fo the after taste the deer fat gave me..
Old 10-16-2009, 09:54 AM
Typical Buck

a guy down the road from me swears by them...i know my dogs like them more than me though
Old 10-17-2009, 09:28 AM
Fork Horn

If you take the rib and put a dry rub and put bacon strip around the ribs, then rap them in foil. Cook on low heat, turning them every five minutes. Check about thirty minutes to see if the meat is pulling away from the bone. When 1/2 in of bone is sticking out, unrap and brown to suit your tatse.
Old 10-17-2009, 09:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

best way fer deer ribs is to boil em and when just bout med take em out and broil in oven wif bbq sauce...goes good wif taters and corn on cobbb
Old 10-17-2009, 02:52 PM
Typical Buck

Dog food! not enough meat and too much tallow between the bones for my liking.
Old 10-17-2009, 04:51 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Big Guy01
Dog food! not enough meat and too much tallow between the bones for my liking.
C'mon Big Guy, tell us what you really think.

I usually feed 'em to the 'yotes. They are not good enough for our dog. I do not like the flavor of that tallow and there is no way to clean it out.

Bob
Old 10-17-2009, 06:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

I put them in a casserole (glass dish) with some water covered with aluminum foil. I cook them at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. I then drain the water, brush some barbeque sauce on the ribs (KC Classic), and cook another 45 minutes. I serve with a pinot noir wine. This was pretty good. At the same time, venison ribs are not something to write home to mom about. I keep and cook them because I'm anal retentive. Others would throw them away, use them to make broth, or feed them to their dogs. Notwithstanding, I did serve venison ribs as described above to women neighbors to my sister-in-law, and they said they liked it. They even ate seconds.
Old 10-18-2009, 03:49 AM
Typical Buck

Here are what ribs are supposed to look like. These are pork ribs slow smoked and a side of smoked beans too.

They are done come and get it
The Ribs

The Beans

On the Plate
Old 10-18-2009, 07:27 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by halfbakedi420
best way fer deer ribs is to boil em and when just bout med take em out and broil in oven wif bbq sauce...goes good wif taters and corn on cobbb
a friend had some that we smoked in his smoker.. That was a mistake, they needed to be parboiled or something before smoking.. They were tough as 100 yr old shoe leather.. You could barely bite, pull, chew, chomp on them to get it down..

I havent tried them since then though

Brian