Community
Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

The grind

Old 10-12-2009, 09:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default The grind

i was wondering how everyone packages the lil pieces of meat that come off, the grind . is what we call it...

we basically **** off the coyotes by takin it all off, and i found a couple of "dry " pieces in a bag from the freezer, we usually use this meat fer sausage n grindin.
Old 10-12-2009, 01:12 PM
Fork Horn

Anything we cant fry or grill, it going for the drop (into the grinder). LOL We make our own summer sausage, the guys I work with fight for a piece, i guess the better half is doing it right!

Last edited by longhunter 66; 10-12-2009 at 01:14 PM. Reason: bad english
Old 10-13-2009, 08:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

i am askin how ya package it?
Old 10-14-2009, 07:00 PM
Fork Horn

We wrap all of our meat with butcher's paper, the kind with a plastic layer on one side. We do not have trouble with freezer burn so we will keep using the paper.

It is easy to show someone the combination of rolling, folding, rolling and taping, but difficult to discribe using words.

Watch someone do it.

Bob
Old 10-15-2009, 08:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Robert L E
We wrap all of our meat with butcher's paper, the kind with a plastic layer on one side. We do not have trouble with freezer burn so we will keep using the paper.

It is easy to show someone the combination of rolling, folding, rolling and taping, but difficult to discribe using words.

Watch someone do it.

Bob
i use the paper too, i dont do it on site though, i wait til i get home and then wrap it....i think it has the dry areas from bein in the cooler? i aint sure..
do u wrap urs on the spot?
Old 10-16-2009, 04:37 AM
Fork Horn

If you work it up at home, we freeze all the drops in ice cream buckets till we are done with the season. I set up the grinder once, the family comes over to grind their deer, kind of an all day job. LOL LOL
Old 10-16-2009, 06:52 PM
Fork Horn

To package it into sandwich bags (1lb) , then rap in freeze paper. For the meat to make a hamburger patties, we mix 75% deer and 25% pork.
Old 10-16-2009, 07:03 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by halfbakedi420
i use the paper too, i dont do it on site though, i wait til i get home and then wrap it....i think it has the dry areas from bein in the cooler? i aint sure..
do u wrap urs on the spot?
I see you are from east Texas. It is a lot colder here in Iowa so we can hang deer whole for days and not worry about spoilage. (normal years) Your question here made me realize that you have to take a deer apart and get it into coolers fairly quick. We don't usually have to worry about warm temperatures so our "grind" is not created until we butcher.

We let the deer hang for three or four days (hide on) on normal years and butcher day is sort of a production. The "grind" never does get packaged until after it is ground up into burger or made into sausage. It is the final product that gets packaged.

We do have some warm years and we ice the deer and butcher the first day we get home but we also have cold years when we delay butchering until the carcasses thaw out a bit. A cold carcass is hard to skin but a FROZEN deer really tries to keep its hide, I tell you.

I think if I butchered in the field, or at camp, I would get large strong high quality bags for all of the meat then put it on ice until I got home, then grind it, and THEN package it in the final packaging for the freezer.

Last edited by Robert L E; 10-16-2009 at 07:10 PM.