HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Camp Cooking and Game Processing (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/camp-cooking-game-processing-30/)
-   -   They just keep on a coming (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/camp-cooking-game-processing/306141-they-just-keep-coming.html)

Big Guy01 10-07-2009 11:31 AM

They just keep on a coming

Picked some things out of the garden today between the rain and wind

I see Salsa, plenty of ABT's and green tomato mince meat being made this week.
If we don't get frost on the weekend I'll have another picking at least.

jerseyhunter 10-07-2009 12:02 PM

Looks more like you have a farm rather than a garden. Once again ,nice haul.

saltflyz 10-07-2009 04:39 PM

That is awesome...I have enjoyed your posts, instructions and recipes for a long time. You should be proud that you have basically punched out of the industrial food system.

Rebel Hog 10-08-2009 08:41 AM

Very, very Nice!

BlackLab 10-09-2009 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by jerseyhunter (Post 3466568)
Looks more like you have a farm rather than a garden. Once again ,nice haul.

Couldn't have said it better jersey :s4:

Robert L E 10-09-2009 05:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ontario, huh? That looks like a "Pick 'em all, Mr Frost can't have any!" session to me.

I've got a very small garden and planted half in cabbage. My nine plants did well but most of the heads fermented pretty bad. Sixteen pounds altogether. Ten pounds got put into jars anyway the rest got mated with sausage or pork chops before it had a chance to be canned. Never tried it before. Tastes just like sauerkraut.

You have a great harvest there.

Kraut has to be the simplest recipe there is besides hot water.

Cabbage and salt (3 Tbl salt to 5 lb shredded cabbage) pack in crock with weight to hold cabbage below the liquid that seeps out, and four weeks of fermentation m/l depending on the temperature. It is done when it stops bubbling.

Big Guy01 10-10-2009 07:17 AM

I make kraut every other year, no frost yet but I'll have to do my gather everything picking soon as I think we will get frost on Wednesday.

ksfowler 10-10-2009 03:30 PM

That is quite the bounty! We picked 6 grocery sacks full of green beans last week and they are in the process of being canned. Our growing season is pretty much done. We have had a frost 4 times in the last week. And we are going to have a hard freeze tonight.

Gromky 10-10-2009 10:28 PM

My wife would be in love with all the tomatoes. Speaking of that, want her?

Guess I can't say that, she was very tolerant of me camping out last night to hunt today. Even though I decided to pass over the milk does today and not take a shot.

Phil from Maine 10-11-2009 12:09 AM

It sure looks like a big haul you have there Big Guy!! I can't believe you have not gotten any frost yet.. We have had a few hard hits of it already with another one around Tuesday they are saying.. bbrrrrr....