Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Camp Cooking and Game Processing
 Anyone have an electric smoker.. >

Anyone have an electric smoker..

Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

Anyone have an electric smoker..

Old 06-30-2009, 12:53 PM
Dominant Buck

Default Anyone have an electric smoker..

If so what are the pros and cons?
Thanks,
C7
Old 06-30-2009, 08:01 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Anyone have an electric smoker..

My first smoker I got is a Brinkman electric. It has a water pan. Its a decent smoker and is very simple to use as you just add your wood chips to the bottom by the heating element and add water to the pan to keep the meat from drying out. Since then, I have purchased 2 charcoal/wood smokers with side fireboxes and you can't compare the taste. Much better than an electric one. I usually burn Oak firewood in them.
Old 07-01-2009, 01:33 AM
Dominant Buck

Thanks Man
Old 07-02-2009, 03:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have the 20lb model from the sausagemaker. I use it when making sausages and such as it's easy to keep a constant low heat (90-165*) although it gets hotter if need be.. Although hen doing butts ,ribs fatties and such I use my offset so I can use wood or charcoal and play with fire. I also have an old dome charcoal one with the water pan that I still use occasionally for smoking fish. You can never have too many smokers. I'm Looking at another like the 20 lb electric I have with a front door, only this one is wood/charcoal. Just another toy. Running out of room in the shed and yard. Did I mention my stationary gas grill.
Old 07-02-2009, 07:17 AM
Dominant Buck

You do got a lot of smokers I got some ribs and chicken going on right now as we speak..The grapefruit smoke was really burling out this morning..I lke playing with fire too,,,
Old 07-02-2009, 09:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hey chuck,
Here's an elelctric Mes 40" Nice little unit but is senitive to outdoor temps IMO. It uses wood chips I prefer chunks so just trim accordingly. I also have a propane GOSM BB love it!!! Would highly recomend that.

Old 07-03-2009, 11:17 AM
Dominant Buck

That's the one I was looking at at Sams for 299.00
Old 08-18-2009, 11:08 AM
Spike

Default I know a little late but.........

There is a difference between a cooker and smoker and I am assuming you just wanted info on a smoker. For over 15 years I have been using the same electric smoker and it has done a great job. It has smoked everything from moose, caribou, bear, salmon, halibut, deer, turkey, ham, pork chops and so on. I remember wrapping it in a blanket and smoking meats at -30F, while it was snowing and drizzling rain. It really is a good smoker you will not be sorry.

Its a Big Chief electric smoker, I think you can get them from Cabelas.
Old 09-05-2009, 07:33 PM
Fork Horn

I'VE HEARD, and I repeat heard, from the experts that electric is best because you can maintain a more even DRY heat versus gas or charcoal/wood, which imparts more moisture into the meat than you should when smoking. That said, I've ate some pretty good smoked meat from each method.
Old 09-07-2009, 11:59 AM
Boone & Crockett

I can remember up here that they had smoke houses for smoking fish in as well as making hams and the like.. They just cured them and smoked them for a few days to a week long at times.. They just took some polly and 2x4s and that was it except for a place to set the fire in.. I can remember it sure tasted good like that..