Community
Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

Two Tips for Florida Smokers..

Old 06-10-2009, 12:30 PM
Dominant Buck

Default Two Tips for Florida Smokers..

Hey Floridians,
I've been searching all over the place for some good wood to smoke besides hickory..which I love. You won't beleive what wood is ranked EXCELLENT..most of us have it in our own back yard. Citrus wood. I cut up an old orange tree the other day . Two days ago I cut up some good sized chips from a dead but not rotted log..The ribs and chicken quarters were outstanding..Then I looked on ebay..Citrus wood chips is not cheap..So Floridians..dry yourself some orange, grapefruit lemon or lime out..It's great.

Also..the bigger chips raise the heat up..so instead of 5 hours for chicken quarters..looking at about 3 hours..When I get hickory chips from the store..I'm lucky to maintain a constant 210 degrees..With bigger chips..275..I need to close some vents off a little the next time.

Anyway..citrus is a great smoke
I'm not to fond of pecan or apple
Old 06-11-2009, 04:24 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Two Tips for Florida Smokers..

Just about any wood other than evergreens will do a good job at smoking, Hardwoods prefered and fruit/nut wood are the best.
Local wood and Free is what I like. I use mostly Sugar maple for that reason.
Old 06-11-2009, 07:49 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Big Guy01

Just about any wood other than evergreens will do a good job at smoking, Hardwoods prefered and fruit/nut wood are the best.
Local wood and Free is what I like. I use mostly Sugar maple for that reason.

Here in Iowa, I use oak for the same reason. If I use it for smoke I do not have to pay to have it hauled away. It tastes good too. I am using fairly large pieces now and I do not soak it. It makes it so I use less charcoal.

Bob
Old 06-16-2009, 05:07 PM
Fork Horn

We use alot of black jack oak here to smoke with it doesn't have to much of a strong after taste. Give it a try you will probably enjoy the flavor.
Old 06-17-2009, 03:19 AM
Boone & Crockett

Up here I like using apple and alder wood for fish, for meats I preffer the sugar maple as well as a little mountain ash..
Old 06-19-2009, 03:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

My father cut down his Cherry and Apple tree. So I grabbed a bunch. Now I have an apple tree that will be getting pruned as needed.
Old 06-21-2009, 08:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: n.florida hunter

We use alot of black jack oak here to smoke with it doesn't have to much of a strong after taste. Give it a try you will probably enjoy the flavor.
x2. black jack is my favorite and hickory nuts are second
Old 06-28-2009, 09:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Chuck, citrus (especially grapefruit) is awesome. As a matter of fact, go to Charley's Steakhouse in Whorelando on SOBT...they use it on their steaks and they are great.
Old 06-29-2009, 04:21 PM
Dominant Buck

yes sir,
There was a website that classified them from ok to Excellent..only four ranked excellent for all meats..
Grapefruit
Lime
Orange
Lemon
and of course we all know that hickory is King of Smokes.
LOL..and here I was sending my dad money to ship me apple from Maryland..I even got up earlyone morning and stold a big pecan branch off of a tree at a nearby baseball field..I smoke alot.and can tell you each smoke is unique and so far grapefruit is myfavorite ..I also like hickory..but grapefruit is tops for me. There hasn't been enough tries from the public for avacado..butI 've got some drying.Because of septic tank issues I had to take the tree out.

Old 07-03-2009, 08:12 PM
Typical Buck

My three favorite is apple apple and apple.

Quick Reply: Two Tips for Florida Smokers..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.