HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Camp Cooking and Game Processing (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/camp-cooking-game-processing-30/)
-   -   WANTED: Elk Roast Recipe (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/camp-cooking-game-processing/290629-wanted-elk-roast-recipe.html)

dbblung 03-30-2009 02:12 PM

WANTED: Elk Roast Recipe

I am looking for a good/simple recipe for elk roast in the slow cooker.I would like something simple, that doesn't require a bunch of special ingredients, yet produces a good end result. Please let me know if you have a favorite. I am open to anything. Thanks in advance!

finnbear 03-30-2009 04:01 PM

RE: WANTED: Elk Roast Recipe

If it's a nice young animal, just cook it like U would beef....but just don't over cook it and end up with a big chunk of shoe leather!!! Salt,pepper or your favorite beef spice, a little beer or water to keep it moist and make some steam!!!
I know a buch ot folks will come back with all sorts of ways to smother it with this or that ....but then you just might as well not have the elk!!! I like the flavor of wild game and don't like to cover it up!!!! If it's some ole rancid nasty smelling 6X6 or such...the best thing to do is make a bunch of pepperoni and sausages out of it!!! BUT this is just my opinion!!!

jerseyhunter 03-31-2009 03:37 AM

Old standby, Can of cream of mushroom soup, couple whole small red potatoes, couple carrots, couple whole onions, couple stalks of celery(optional) a few shakes of pepper. Salt and bread at the table.

WOBhunter 04-17-2009 04:22 PM

Take taco seasoning and rub it into all sides, sear it onall sidesin a pan with olive oil. Throw it in the crockpot with a couple or three cans of petite tomatoes and one sweet onion, sliced. I serve it withbuttered pasta (shells, spagh. noodles, rice, potatoes,this list is endless).

Mr.Flintlock 04-24-2009 01:06 PM

Ok Here's my ( actually my wife's) recipe for Elk, Bear, or Deer roasts.

Place roast in Crockpot and add one package of Lipton onion soup mix, mixed with one cup of water. Let cook on low for aboutseven hours.

stretch56 04-25-2009 02:08 AM

Pepsi pot roast
1 envelope of Lipton onion soup mix
1 can of cream of mushroom soup
1 can of Pepsi
salt & pepper to taste
put a few carrots & potatoes on top & around roast
cook on low heat 6 to 8 hour or until done in crock pot

the juice will make a good tasting gravy

never used it on elk but tastes great with deer or beef roast

throwingStarr 05-06-2009 02:16 PM

[ol][*]3 1/2 poundsElk meat (steaks, backstrap, stew meat)cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces[*]1/4 cup all-purpose flour[*]3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil[*]2 cups dry red wine[*]3 cupsbeef or chicken stock[*]6 carrots, cut into 1/2-inch dice[*]1 1/2 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch dice[*]3 medium parsnips, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch dice[*]1 large onion, cut into 1-inch dice[*]1/2 pound cremini mushrooms, quartered[*]1 tablespoon thyme leaves, chopped[*]8 sage leaves, coarsely chopped[*]Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper[/ol]
[ol][*]In a large bowl, tosselk meat cutswith the flour. In a large enameled cast-iron casserole, heat the oil. Working in batches, cook theelk cutsover moderately high heat until browned all over, about 6 minutes per batch. Discard the oil.[*]Returnelk meatto casserole. Add the wine and boil until reduced by half, 8 minutes. Add the stock and bring to a simmer. Cover and cook over low heat untilelk meat is tender, 2 hours.[*]Stir in the carrots, potatoes, parsnips, onion, mushrooms, thyme and sage. Cover and simmer over low heat until the vegetables are tender, about 35 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and serve. [/ol]

Ivalla 09-28-2009 01:41 PM

hey

If you are looking for good and simple recipes for elk roast you should visit this website, they have lots of good recipes!
http://www.recipebuddys.com

Alsatian 10-30-2009 11:10 AM

Thaw the elk roast out completely the day before cooking. The night before cooking appy a "dry rub" to the roast, place it in a zip-lock bag, and refrigerate. The dry rub comprises 8 crushed juniper berries, a bay leaf crumbled up into small pieces, 1/2 teaspoon of thyme, 1/4 teaspoon of coarsely ground black pepper.

Add a small amount (2 tablespoons) of oil or fat to a heavy casserole that you will cook the roast in. Heat the casserole on high heat, add the roast and sear the outside of the meat on all sides. This consumes about 5-10 minutes. Add three cups of water, bring to the boil, cover, place in a 350 degree oven. Braise covered for 3 hours, turning the roast over in the liquid about every half hour. Add additional water if the water level gets low. As the end of the cooking time approaches, let the water level reduce somewhat -- but do not let it all boil away!

Remove the roast to a cutting board. Add thickening to the remaining liquid in the casserole to thicken the sauce and make a gravy. I make a thickening by cooking two tablespoons of flour in 3 tablespoons of butter for about five minutes. Then I blend the mixture slowly into the liquids until I'm happy with the thickness. I adjust the level of salt in this gravy at the end of the thickening process. Slice up the meat in thick slices and serve with the gravy in a separate bowl.

If the elk is too tender, cook less time in the future for that specific elk kill. This time interval works well for deer. If your elk happens to be more tender than venison it may be better to cook less time.