Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

Raccoon

Old 03-30-2009, 01:10 PM
Spike

Default Raccoon

Anybody know how to make raccoon taste good? I have one in the freezer that I trapped last year and I would like to know how to make it edible. I tried some of it boiled in water for an hour and it tasted NASTY lol. Even though it smelled and looked like pot roast, it had a oily fishy taste to it. I know an area that is full of raccoons and if I can make it edible and good, I could have a good food source. I have heard that you can soak it overnight in a mixture of salt water and vinegar to take away the oily and fishy taste. Anybody have any suggestions?
Old 03-30-2009, 05:29 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Raccoon

I used to hunt deer with a guy that was abig racoon hunter. He would bring bbq racoon to deer camp. MMMMM was good even cold. Don't know how he prepared it tho.
Old 03-30-2009, 05:41 PM
Typical Buck

Bandit pie

1 raccoon
1 ½ cups white wine
1 tsp. beef bouillon
2 lbs. Potatoes
1 small onion, grated
1 egg, beaten
1 large onion chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
½ cup celery, chopped
1 cup carrots, shredded
½ cup fresh parsley, chopped
1 8 oz. Can sliced mushrooms, drained or fresh equivalent
1 tsp. thyme
½ tsp. dry mustard
1 tsp. salt
½ tsp. pepper.
Clean and remove all fat from raccoon, cut into pieces and place wine and bouillon with the pieces in a pressure cooker. Cook for 25 minutes at 15 pounds pressure. Allow to drop in pressure when cool debone and reserve meat and broth separately.
Cook potatoes until tender, drain and mash. Allow to cool slightly they stir in the grated onion and beaten egg.
Place onion, garlic, and celery in pan with ¼ cup of reserved liquid. Cook over medium heat stirring occasionally for 10 minutes until onion and celery are soft. Add remaining ingredients, diced meat and 1 cup of reserved liquid. Bring to a boil and reduce liquid by ½.
Transfer to a greased 3-quart casserole dish. Top with the mashed potatoes. Bake at 375 for 15-20 minutes until heated through and slightly browned.

BEAVER OR RACCOON ROAST WITH BARBECUE SAUCE RECIPE
1 small to medium beaver or raccoon cut into serving size pieces
1/2 tsp. salt
1 teaspoon instant minced onion
3 tbsp. brown sugar
1/2 cup chili sauce
1 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 ( 7 oz.) bottle of beer or pickle juice

Place pieces of beaver or raccoon in a foil-lined roasting pan. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. and roast, covered for a half hour. Meanwhile, mix other ingredients in a small bowl for barbecue sauce. After meat has roasted a half hour, uncover and pour barbecue sauce over the pieces. Then roast, uncovered, for another half hour to an hour--until tender. Baste several times during cooking, using your barbecue sauce

Old 03-30-2009, 06:10 PM
Super Moderator

Soak it in salt water for a day or two to get rid of that fishy taste. Than you can cook it like rabbit or squirrel or anything else. Not my favorite thing, but they're edible.
-Jake
Old 03-31-2009, 03:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'd try soaking it in milk, they soak strong oily fish in it .
Old 03-31-2009, 04:49 AM
Dominant Buck

Take the coon's left paw in hand, place the paw on the front of your phone, then use it to dial Dominoe's.
Old 03-31-2009, 07:04 AM
Boone & Crockett

If I was in your shoes, i would honestly find an 80 year old black woman with a reputation as a good cook and offer to keep her stocked with wild game if she will teach you a couple coon cooking recipes. I've had coon and it tasted good, but never when it was cooked by a white person.
Old 03-31-2009, 08:02 AM
Spike

ORIGINAL: Bocajnala

Soak it in salt water for a day or two to get rid of that fishy taste. Than you can cook it like rabbit or squirrel or anything else. Not my favorite thing, but they're edible.
-Jake
I assume in a covered airtight container, right?
Old 03-31-2009, 08:16 AM
Super Moderator

hmmm. I just put a piece of plastic wrap over the pot and put it in the 'fridge. Not sure if it makes a difference or not. You'll wanna change the water a time or so. It will turn dirty looking as the salt water pulls the blood and crap ouit of the meat.
-Jake
Old 03-31-2009, 08:52 AM
Spike

Once I put deer meat in salt water in the fridge for 24 hours and covered it with clear plastic wrap. The next night when I cooked it, it smelled really bad as if the meat went bad. With the coon what I will do is put it in a small rubber maid container with the air squeezed out.

Quick Reply: Raccoon

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.