HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Camp Cooking and Game Processing (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/camp-cooking-game-processing-30/)
-   -   How do I cook a skinless turkey? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/camp-cooking-game-processing/27891-how-do-i-cook-skinless-turkey.html)

mr4pt 04-07-2003 01:02 PM

How do I cook a skinless turkey?

My wife talked me into plucking this turkey I got Sat. BTW-I HAVE PLUCKED MY LAST TURKEY! I usually just breast them.

After plucking it, I couldn' t get all the pin feathers off so I went ahead and skinned it but it is still a whole turkey.

What would be the best way to cook this bird? I think roasting it would be too dry, along with smoking it. I have a turkey fryer, do you think I can deep fry this bird without the skin?

jerseyhunter 04-07-2003 02:36 PM

RE: How do I cook a skinless turkey?

I wouldn' t recommend the fryer as the meat on the outside will dry out where ever the oil comes in contacct with it. If it were up to me I would either cover with bacon strips and bake as usual. Or if you want to avoid the bacon taste put it in a covered Turkey Pan (Black Enamel) or other with a cup or two of water or stock, then continue as normal. The steam will cook it without drying it out and the juices can be made into a gravy.

Pro-Line 04-07-2003 05:39 PM

I skin all my birds...

Just remove the legs and thighs in one piece. They can be cooked in a crock pot with some onions and 1/2 cup of water for about 8 hours. YUM!

Take those breasts and cut them up into strips about 1/2" square and about 2 or 3 inches long. Then dip in egg, bread like fish and fry. I use a bread crumb mix. It' s gooder than July Jam!

OhioDuckHunter 04-08-2003 06:54 AM

The baking bags work well also, the meat stays tender and juicy (as much as a turkey can). You can put the fixins' in the bag with it too. This is the way that I cook skinned pheasant. It works great for me. Good luck.

mr4pt 04-14-2003 11:25 AM

Well I did it, and it turned out AWESOME!

Just cook it for 2 1/2 min per pound instead of the 3 1/2 minutes they suggest. Apparently it cooks faster without the skin. It had a small layer of crust on the outside but nothing that couldn' t be peeled off, there was very little waist and it was as moist as any bird I have ever had......

I highly suggest it.

Tree climber 04-15-2003 04:29 AM

peal the breast,slice and fry.take the rest and put into crock pot with onions and carrots,cook till it falls off the bone,make dressing.
the only way to cook a wild turkey for me. " JMHO" .;)[8D]
my 2 cents,there are 98 more.;)

BeatyChik 08-09-2019 04:43 AM

Do you like to cook? I love very much. Therefore, I recommend you my favorite chicken recipe.

club.cooking/articles/how-long-to-bake-chicken-legs/

Try to cook.

Ingredients

• 2 pounds chicken legs
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1 teaspoon onion powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon paprika
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1/2 teaspoon your favorite seasoning

grinder67 08-09-2019 11:09 AM

My wife (girlfriend at the time) soaked my first one in liquid smoke for a day then cooked it in a bag. served it with dumplins and mashed potatoes. Oh my was that good!

Oldtimr 08-09-2019 01:58 PM

I cut the breast halves in half almost all the way like opening a book. Then I open it up and spread a mixture of goat cheese with herbs and Philadelphia cream cheese. Then I close the book with toothpicks and saute in a pan with a little olive oil on both sides until done. Next, remove the Breast and put some butter and about a half cup of good brandy or Cognac and simmer till reduced by half. Then plate the breasts and spoon some of the sauce on the plate and put the breast on the sauce, then spoon some sauce over the top of the breast half. You can't beat it.

Bananapowerc 08-14-2019 04:39 AM

I like to cook. And I think that it will be useful for you to learn how to cook a turkey.

club.cooking/articles/how-long-to-cook-a-turkey/
It is very tasty and simple.