Community
Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

Rare vs too rare

Old 01-06-2009, 07:25 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Rare vs too rare

after taking a healthy doe and a few beers, three of us ate a cut a chunk each off the back strap and ate it raw. We were all fine but it was only a bite. Mind you it was cold, clean, and like sushi. I bet with a little wasabi and soy sauce it would have been decent
Old 01-09-2009, 09:56 AM
Fork Horn

I gotta agree with Slo Bo on this one. I would trust the meat I shot, cleaned, butched and cooked more than that from just about any place else. True butcher shops as well like one I frequent. Now the regular grocery and slaughterhouse yikes if you only new!!

Now saying that, I am hardy I eat both rare to medium rare and have lived so far. I have an uncle and a cousin who will be eating it raw as we cut it up. I do like it at leastpassed across a hot fire.
Old 01-11-2009, 12:32 PM
Typical Buck

Rare to medium rare,,,, what I don't eat I'll ride back out to my tree stand
Old 01-11-2009, 12:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Most of the problem with beef is ecoli, that comes from feces. when meat comes in contact with feces.If your carfull when butchering yourdeer there should be no problem eating it with a pulse.
Old 01-20-2009, 05:11 AM

ORIGINAL: Slo-bo

Would you all please explain to me just why you are more willing to eat rare beef than rare venison? The only wayI like a steak or tenderloin is rare, and that'sexactly the wayI eat it. I've been eating venison as a primary, and almost only,source of red meat for better than 30 years. I'd ahell of a lot rather trustin eatingwild game rare, thatI had at least had some control over how it was killed and handled afterwards, as to eat anything out of a store that came from a slaughterhouse. If I hadI my own farm, and raised my own beefers, slaughtered and butchered on site, I would eat either without hesitation, although after all these years of venison, I'm not that crazy about beef. Venison (taste) is all about the way it's killed, dressed, aged, wrapped, and cooked.
Very courious as to why some of you are more comfortable eating rare beef as opposed to venison?
This is the truth-trusting which meat should be the other way around. Nice post
Old 02-05-2009, 09:24 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: zrexpilot

Most of the problem with beef is ecoli, that comes from feces. when meat comes in contact with feces.If your carfull when butchering yourdeer there should be no problem eating it with a pulse.
Exactly. As long as you don't get a gut shot or get feces all over your meat you can eat all your meat as rare as it can get. If you do though any meat that came in contact with feces or stomach contents should be separated and cooked thoroughly or removed and thrown out so as to not contaminate the rest of the meat. The main problem in slaughterhouses is that sometimes a piece or two slips through and makes the grinder once in the grinder it comes has the possibility to come in contact with thousands of pounds of uncontaminated meat before the grinder is cleaned and sanitized contaminating a lot of meat. This leads to large recalls of hamburger.
Old 02-07-2009, 10:56 PM
Spike

Agree with the above. You cook burger and sausage quite well because it's a lot of ground up meat, so any contamination has a huge chance of reaching the middle.

You leave a steak alone, no matter the source, because the main bacterial contamination comes from the knife/blade that was used to cut it and the surroundings and any improper butchering (much more unlikely for any deer you process yourself). This is coming from a guy with a biochemistry/molecular biology degree, as well as my father.. I wouldn't want a blue steak, but the one I had tonight was red/pink through 90% of the meat.