HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Camp Cooking and Game Processing (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/camp-cooking-game-processing-30/)
-   -   Smoking ribs, what kind of wood chips?? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/camp-cooking-game-processing/276802-smoking-ribs-what-kind-wood-chips.html)

DougMD 12-04-2008 10:18 AM

Smoking ribs, what kind of wood chips??

I got that big smoker last year, but pretty much did geese and deer with it so far. Now that my son's football is over and I have some time on my hands, I was hoping to use that guy Jeff's famous rib rub and do some ribs, and maybe chicken.

BlackLab or others, any specifics on what kind of ribs are best to do and what kind of chips to use would be appreciated, ALONG WITH ANY OTHER TIPS/SUGGESTIONS! I believe I have hickory and apple right now. Jeff seems to think spare ribs are best, but country style are good as well.

BTW, we may have had this discussion last year, but I forgot and am now truly focused on getting it done this year!

Big Guy01 12-04-2008 12:18 PM

RE: Smoking ribs, what kind of wood chips??

Maple, Hickory or cherry all work fine. I prefer maple because I have my own wood which I just split and chopup.

DougMD 12-04-2008 01:14 PM

Thanks! I'd like to break out and smoke some other stuff this year too. Any ideas on what tastes better smoked than grilled, fried or baked, let me know...

Jimmy D. Fitzgerald 12-04-2008 01:50 PM

I use a pecan and oak mixture

BlackLab 12-05-2008 09:09 AM

Woo Hoo!!! purifying the air with TBS

Doug if I do ribs it's mainly spares half the price of bb and trimming to ST Louie is easy.But I rarely do ST Louie. Chunk wood smokes better and last longer imo. Hic and apple is a mix I use 50/50 with a aj spritz. The wife really likes pecan an apple 2/3 1/3 w/aj spritz. I have to admit pecan is a nice subtle sweet taste.

If you do chicken always smoke it under the other meats, don't want ya sick. ;)

Keep us in the loop an don't forget Q-view

BlackLab 12-05-2008 09:14 AM

ORIGINAL: DougMD

Thanks! I'd like to break out and smoke some other stuff this year too. Any ideas on what tastes better smoked than grilled, fried or baked, let me know...
Smoked chuck is good especialy when turn into enchiladas or put into chilli

DougMD 12-05-2008 10:58 AM

Thanks BL!

Is aj spritz apple juice sprayed on the chips?

BlackLab 12-05-2008 11:35 AM

ORIGINAL: DougMD

Thanks BL!

Is aj spritz apple juice sprayed on the chips?

Your welcome ;)
Spritz the meat after2 1/2 hrs then every hr till done.