Community
Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

*Will make your mouth water*

Old 08-08-2008, 07:53 PM

Default *Will make your mouth water*

Just went to the Outback Steakhouse. It got me thinking about them tasty backstraps them horns come with. What is your best recipe for preparing backstraps.
Old 08-08-2008, 10:58 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: *Will make your mouth water*

Coat 'em with olive oil, so salt and pepper will stick. Toss 'em on a hot grill and get a good sear on the outside. Pull them off the heat when they are rare to medium rare. (just like your beef steaks) Can't go wrong this way.

Bacon wrapping has its merits though. Yum.....baaaaaaaaaaaacon. Just do not over cook the venison.

Bob
Old 08-17-2008, 07:28 PM
Typical Buck

That' good, but try doing themwith pepper, butterfly the backstap steaks. Crack a bunch of black pepper on a plate, coat the steaks with the pepper, and sear in an iron skillet. Remove meat, dump in about two shots of good conaik, whiskey or brandy to de-glaze the pan, scrape the burnt goodeis off. Let it cook on high for a couple minites, then pour in say a cup of heavy cream or half&half, put the steaks back in the pan and turn down the heat to low and simmer for ten or fifteen minites.......thats what im talkin about
Old 08-21-2008, 04:32 PM

take a strap and lay it on some foil and cut a boat shape from the top of it(like they do when they make your subway). fill it with a couple dabs of butter, shreadded cheese,your favorite, and some sliced peppers, hot or mild your choice. rub some oil on it and season the out side with some garlic or whatever you like, wrap 'er up in the foil and chunk 'er in the oven or on the grill. works even better with pork loin, but i'll take wild over mild anyday.
Old 08-21-2008, 07:33 PM
Super Moderator

I like to marinate em in Soy sauce for a couple hours, then salt, pepper , and lemon pepper them. Put em on the charcol grill and presto you have a tasty backstrap...
Old 08-22-2008, 05:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

slice thin, heat Olive oil, garlic in aniron skillet touch them in the pan both sides, serve hot! If it's anymore than that it's taken to long to get them good good cuts in my belly!
Old 08-22-2008, 05:47 PM
Dominant Buck

I pound my steaks out with a tenderizing hammer...

Sprinkle heavily with Montreal Steak seaoning..

Put margerine in a cast iron...get HOT..

Quickly toss steaks oin the HOT skillet.....sear both sides...and eat medium to medium rare...
Old 09-12-2008, 11:20 PM

Im new here...to this site..

I would like to let you all know what I have done... I dont use any aluminum foil that could get hot from heat because the aluminum goes right in your food.

You get flu symptoms and think its the flu.. it could be from the teflon skillet your useing the teflon gets hot and goes rite in your food. I use cast iron, stainless now, threw all teflon in the dumpster.

If you have water in any kind of plastic and it gets over 90 deg. the plastic puts off bad things in your water.

Good Hunting

Old 09-20-2008, 07:09 PM
Spike

Stole this from my uncle Tom. Backstraps+Kikoman garlic Teriyaki and fresh slivers of garlic marinated in bag overnight. Hot grill rare to medium rare. GOOOOOOOODDDD STUUUUUUUUFFFFFFF

Old 10-15-2008, 07:56 PM
Fork Horn

I had some the other night , we marinated them overnight in jack Daniels marinade, then cut them so you can roll them, place a few round cut banana peppers (found in jar pre sliced) and some cheddar cheese, roll it all up and wrap in bacon, use a tooth pick to hold it all together, apply some more marinade, and cook on grill till rare.medium rare.. warning! extremly addictive! have a spotter because as being the grill meister you will eat all of them as you are cooking them,,

Quick Reply: *Will make your mouth water*

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.