HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Camp Cooking and Game Processing (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/camp-cooking-game-processing-30/)
-   -   Doves? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/camp-cooking-game-processing/246353-doves.html)

daughenbaughredneck 05-16-2008 09:20 PM

Doves?

Anyone eat doves i have a few in the frigerator. that a neighbor gave me are they good and what are a way to cook them?

Big Guy01 05-17-2008 11:11 AM

RE: Doves?

Here are some recipes that work well with Pidgeons or Doves

Creamy Pigeons

6 pigeon breasts
2 cans mushroom soup
1/2 lb. Mushrooms, sliced
1 onion, chopped
2 Tbs. sage
Butter

Place enough water to cover breasts in a large pot along with the sage. Bring to a rolling boil. Remove from heat; add the breasts and cover. Allow to stand for 8-10 minutes. Remove breasts from water and rub with butter, salt and pepper to taste. Arrange breasts in a shallow baking dish; add the mushrooms, onion and mushroom soup. Cover and bake at 350 until breasts are tender approx. 30 minutes.
[/b]
[/b]
Crock pot Pigeon

4 pigeons, cut into serving pieces
oil
1 can cream of mushroom soup
4 slices of bacon, chopped
1 onion , chopped
¼ cup red wine
½ cup uncooked rice
2 cloves garlic, chopped
2 Tbs. hot sauce
¼ tsp. oregano
salt
pepper

Brown pigeon pieces in oil. Transfer to crock pot. Add all ingredients. Cook on low 4-6 hrs.

Pigeon with pecan dressing

[/b]
4 whole dressed pigeons
½ cup white grape juice
¼ cup raisins
¼ cup onion, chopped
4 Tbs. Margarine
2 cups cornmeal muffins, crumbled
2 eggs, beaten
¾ cup chopped pecans
½ tsp. salt
¼ tsp. poultry seasoning
¼ tsp. pepper
Combine grape juice and raisins in a small bowl. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Saute onions in margarine. In a large bowl combine onions, crumbled corn muffins, eggs, pecans, salt, pepper, poultry seasoning, and raisin and grape juice. Mix well. Stuff pigeons with the mix, place in a 9x12 baking dish and bake at 350 for 1 ½ hrs. serve with wild rice.

daughenbaughredneck 05-17-2008 05:06 PM

does doves have a specific taste to them. it looks like all dark meat.

Big Guy01 05-17-2008 05:35 PM

yes they are all dark meat. If you cook them too long they will be dry. I like them just a little pink.

Pawildman 05-18-2008 04:41 PM

ORIGINAL: daughenbaughredneck

Anyone eat doves i have a few in the frigerator. that a neighbor gave me are they good and what are a way to cook them?
I love 'em. My favorite way to cook them is (and we're talking about the breast meat only...) is to clean them, remove the breast meat, soak in salt eater for a bit, usually a couple of hours. Drain, roll in flour and fry slowly in a skillet with butter until done. Do NOT over-cook them.

Alsatian 05-19-2008 02:43 PM

Remove breast meat from the bird, still on the keel bone. Salt and pepper. Wrap in an appropriately cut to length piece of bacon. Roast 6 to 10 minutes in a 400 degree oven. Very tastey. You get about two bites of meat from one dove breast, in my experience. Lot of fussing over such little meat. I guess my poor shotgunning skills prevent me from experiencing very much of this trouble, however.

TexasBowHunter 05-19-2008 08:12 PM

I usually clean the bird but dont breast them out....cut between the breast plate and the breasts and put jalapenos in there and wrap with bacon (use a toothpick to hold the bacon on)....Put on the grill and as said before dont over cook or they will be dry.......They are awesome like this, I do venison this way too...can't go wrong with bacon and jalapenos...;)

sjsfire 05-20-2008 07:02 AM

I usually take out the breast, soak in salt water for a day, wrap a 1/2 slice of bacon around them held in place by a tooth pick. Then toss them on the grill over indirect heat. Pile your coals on one side of the grill and lay a tin foil plate on the other side to catch the grease off the bacon.

jpg2esq 05-23-2008 11:47 AM

I was at a Jim Beam Bourbon tasting down here in South Florida with Elijah Beam. We started talking about hunting and he said the best way to cook doves is to just dip them in flour and fry up like country fried steaks.

Another way is to cook them first and then throw them in a rice cooker with yellow rice and veggies and spices and make a Dove Jambolaya.

cynikalHC 06-03-2008 02:12 PM

ORIGINAL: TexasBowHunter

I usually clean the bird but dont breast them out....cut between the breast plate and the breasts and put jalapenos in there and wrap with bacon (use a toothpick to hold the bacon on)....Put on the grill and as said before dont over cook or they will be dry.......They are awesome like this, I do venison this way too...can't go wrong with bacon and jalapenos...;)
X2 - but also try a little cheese in there with the Jalapeno. mmmmmmm..... cant wait for Sept.