HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Camp Cooking and Game Processing (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/camp-cooking-game-processing-30/)
-   -   PORK (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/camp-cooking-game-processing/240194-pork.html)

caza 03-31-2008 09:04 PM

PORK

I have been told to process venison & pork twice a year acct pork tends to turn a to a more rancid tast after 6 months. So only make as muchpork and venison mix products that you can use in 6 months. Is this a meat, fat, or packaging issue.

Big Guy01 04-01-2008 05:32 AM

RE: PORK

I believe its a packaging issue. I used to also find the pork fat changed its taste after 6 months when I was wraping with butcher paper. I now use a vacumm sealer and things are good for more than a year!

Robert L E 04-01-2008 02:12 PM

If you need fat with your venison, you may try adding beef fat. I find that pork fat is quite expensive here, being sold at the same price as sausage. This make sense because it all would be going into the sausage anyway and the butcher does not wish to sell it at a loss.

Beef fat (trimmings) is usually thrown away so the meat counter at our local grocery sells it for a dollar a pound or less. The resulting hamburger, when it is mixed with venison, looks and tastes like regular beef burger.

Bob

jerseyhunter 04-03-2008 03:44 AM

I try to grind up what I'll use in 3 months and leave the rest in chunks that Ivacum pak.I then make small batches as needed . Pork only goes in my meatloaf or meatball mix , along with beef fat. Other than that all the rest of the ground gets just beef fat.

Phil from Maine 04-03-2008 04:06 AM

I like to grind up some bacon in it.. Mmmm deer bacon burger sounds likeI will be needing to get it some more ready again..;)

Robert L E 04-03-2008 06:30 AM

ORIGINAL: Phil from Maine

I like to grind up some bacon in it.. Mmmm deer bacon burger sounds likeI will be needing to get it some more ready again..;)
We have done this too. Bacon ends were cheaper than plain pork fat, a lot cheaper. It does make a good burger and breakfast sausage too.

Bob

BlackLab 04-03-2008 07:40 AM

ORIGINAL: Robert L E

ORIGINAL: Phil from Maine

We have done this too. Bacon ends were cheaper than plain pork fat, a lot cheaper. It does make a good burger and breakfast sausage too.

Bob
A buddy of mine used bacon ends with his elk burger last yr. It smelled so dam good when it was grilled and fried. The flavor was just as good.

caza 04-03-2008 08:32 PM

thanks for the info, the guys around here buybone less pork shoulder by the box approx 60# for their processing. I like the idea of doing small batches maybe beacon ends or I just bought a sifted show hog carcase and have40 1# packages of ground pork to use and give out to the family

Rebel Hog 04-04-2008 07:56 AM

Six months?........Man, I don't even keep it 6 days!:D:D:D

caza 04-04-2008 08:35 AM

hey reb we also cook young goats on a pit like that. going to build a new one at camp this year