Community
Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

Pheasant Fat?

Old 03-20-2008, 11:08 AM
Fork Horn

Default Pheasant Fat?

SHould this be left on birds and cooked like tasty chicken fat? Or is it like deer fat that is gross? I skinned the birds but they have a good amount of fat on them, I fed them well.
Old 03-20-2008, 05:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Pheasant Fat?

you might as well cut it off, no need for extra colesterol. Unless your doing the whole bird. I never noticed any bad taste like deer.
Old 03-20-2008, 05:59 PM
Typical Buck

It is good tasting fat if you want to leave it on.
Old 03-20-2008, 06:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

It is delicious.....don't discount deer fat either, tasty stuff there....
Old 03-21-2008, 07:15 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Big Guy01
It is good tasting fat if you want to leave it on.
Great, thats what I was looking for.

Judy, R U SERIOUS?Deer fat?That stuff is NAAAS-TY! Do you really eat it or leave it for..um...flavor? I made that mistake ONCE.
Old 03-21-2008, 07:26 AM

i like the taste of deer fat...im all for leaving the fat on for taste
Old 03-21-2008, 08:19 AM
Fork Horn

About deer fat, I find that it has a disagreeable flavor. I have heard others say that they like it though. It makes me wonder if this is a regional thing or if it is based on what the deer are eating. Any thoughts on this?

As to pheasant fat, I have never noticed anything bad about the flavor of pheasant fat. I generally remove it just because it is fat but if I had a lot of it I might render it down and prepare the bird in it's own fat like I do with chicken.

Bob
Old 03-21-2008, 04:36 PM
Typical Buck

It must be a personal taste . I find deer fat very bad tasting and so does everyone i've ever talked to!
Old 03-22-2008, 05:26 AM

i never thought i would here someone say they love the taste of deer fat WOW!goes to show me wrong .
Old 03-23-2008, 10:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hey, what can I say? I enjoy the taste of "gameyness" and I find that deer fat is a good source of this. I don't find it foul, rancid, etc....I just find it as a concentration of the flavor I love in venison. As for the regionality, I have had whitetails from pennsylvania, texas, and wyoming; muleys from utah, colorado, wyoming, and idaho; and blacktails from oregon, washington, and alaska. I am still looking for that pronghorn with fat, but I don't think that is going to happen! Ialso love elk fat, and black bear-only if ithas been eating berries and not fish. I have haddeer that only had sagebrush, others that were practically cornfed, others that were in high country meadows/timber,and others that lived in hayfields. In each case when I "lucked" out and got one with fat on it, I found it quite tasty. I think alot of it has to do with how you prepare it both in the field and at the table....

Quick Reply: Pheasant Fat?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.