Community
Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

grind my own?

Old 02-17-2008, 09:23 PM

Default grind my own?

my family consumes approx 100# of ground deer/wildhog a year my processor does a great job with just enough fat added to make it cook well, and pakages it very well. will it be worth the investment
to purchase my own grinder and and mix and package it myself. if so what type of grinder and about how much should it cost.
Old 02-18-2008, 01:27 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: grind my own?

If you have a good butcher and he is doing a great job why mess with a good thing?I wouldn't change a thing unless the price is just too much to justify his cost, but it does require your time and effort and you will have to still get the equipment. If you were doing hundreds of pounds then sure but your butcher needs to make a living too. Just my .02 worth...
Old 02-18-2008, 05:58 AM
Typical Buck

Don't go there. If you get a grinder you will start to make sausage, the next thing you know you have a grinder,stuffer, smoker and are eating a variety of smoked and cured meats and sausages, salami, kielbasa, pepperoni, snack stix, andouli, brats, calebrese, pastrami, canadian bacon and a whole lot more. Its a slippery slope and it all starts with a grinder
Old 02-18-2008, 06:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

By all means get an electric grinder, at least 1/2 hp. I started off with a grinding attatchment for my kitchen-aid and then graduated to a grinder. Had I known it was so much fun I'd have bought the grinder from the start. Now not only do I butcher and grind my own burgers ,but learned to make sausage, hot dogs etc. It's not about the $ saved, but about the feeling you get doing it yourself. Check out Cabella's or thesausagemaker.com for prices.

Big Guy said it all.
Old 02-18-2008, 07:28 AM
Typical Buck

If you are going to do it do it right. Don't waste your money on a cheap grinder. No plastic gears. You would do quite nicely with a size 22 grinder driven by a 3/4-1 hp motor. Check out Cabela's their grinders are good.
Old 02-20-2008, 09:09 AM

ORIGINAL: jerseyhunter

By all means get an electric grinder, at least 1/2 hp. I started off with a grinding attatchment for my kitchen-aid and then graduated to a grinder. Had I known it was so much fun I'd have bought the grinder from the start. Now not only do I butcher and grind my own burgers ,but learned to make sausage, hot dogs etc. It's not about the $ saved, but about the feeling you get doing it yourself. Check out Cabella's or thesausagemaker.com for prices.

Big Guy said it all.
It definitely feels good to bite into some burgers or sausage that you've hunted, prepared, grinded and cooked yourself...its satisfying.
Old 02-21-2008, 03:07 PM

Yes go for it. I just use a low end electric grinder, I think it cost about $70 about 20 years ago. It works as well today as the day I bought it, has had roughly 800 lbs of meat through it.
Old 02-28-2008, 09:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Josh and I use a hand grinder but only for our venison, since he doesn't have to use it so often he doesn't mind that it isn't electric. I help him cut it all up and he grinds it. We also make our own jerkey, but we do it in the oven.
Old 03-07-2008, 07:04 PM
Spike

DIFFENTLY INVEST IN A GRINDER, BUT DONT BUY A CHEAP ONE.20 YEARS AGO $70 TODAYS PRICE $500,LOL. GET 3/4 OR 1 HP. AND YOU WILL WONT BE SORRY. YOU WILL LOVE TO TELL YOUR FRIENDS I MADE IT. IT TAKE A LITTLE TRIAL AND ERROR TO FIND THE RECIPE THAT OYU LIKE BUT THATS HALF THE FUN. THEN YOU WILL BE MAKING EVERYTHING.
GOOD LUCK
Old 03-09-2008, 08:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Last month I helped a bud make a small batch of wild hog sausage...to make, you know, room in the freezer. We got a recipe for breakfast sausage, and went at it. It came out so well, that we plan to grind up a lot more pork for sausage as a nomal part of processing. BigGuy01 is right, but his advice came a little late...and we're happy about it.

Good luck with all your game cooking experiments & experiences.

Quick Reply: grind my own?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.